Chapter 2 - The Sword of the Holy Knight

Start from the beginning

Could he really know some of us? Meliodas pondered to himself. It was possible. After all, the Sins weren't really child-murdering lunatics.

'Quiet, Mead!' snapped one of the village ladies. 'And whose fault is it that we're all in this predicament in the first place? Of all the things to say, do you have to mention those criminals too?'

The other villagers chimed in. Meliodas wasn't really paying attention until-

'You're such a jerk!'

-a rock hit him square in the face. More rocks came flying, so Meliodas grabbed Mead by the shoulders and rushed him back to the tavern. Why are they hitting me?

With both of them safe in the Boar Hat, Meliodas took a breath. 'Well,' he said, 'I've definitely done things that suck less. Tell me kid, why did they all-?'

Mead looked up from where he was slumped on a table. 'Don't call me that, you're a kid too.'

'No, I'm really not actually.'

'What is this, a tavern?'

'Yeah, the Boar Hat. It's my place.' Meliodas watched Mead look around at all the bottles, kind of miffed the kid didn't look even a little impressed.

'Well, I'm hungry,' Mead said pointedly.

Meliodas crossed his arms. 'If you answer my questions I'll make sure you get some food.'

'Nope, food first.'

Meliodas growled and almost didn't notice the ring against his chest warm up again. Its soothing warmth kept him from smacking Mead on the head and settled for a burning look instead. As he made the dish, Meliodas didn't try as hard as he did for Elizabeth. Paprika? Sure. Olives? Why the hell not? The finished dish looked good, like a roast chicken, but Meliodas knew he would never even touch it.

'That looks great!' Mead smile was almost as big as his head. 'I can't wait to dig into this.' and he took a huge bit of one of the drumsticks.

Knowing what was coming, Meliodas stayed well clear of the flying chunks of food. Instead, he poured himself a cup of Vanya Ale. And who knows? Perhaps seeing his village's pride and joy might make the kid open up. 'I never claimed it was going to be any good,' said Meliodas, a grim sense of satisfaction making him smile. He took the now full stein over to Mead's table and sat down. 'So, is it true? All that stuff about you being friends with the Seven Deadly Sins?'

Still being cocky, Mead leant back and turned his face away. 'Hm, your food gave me amnesia.' Then he started to sniff. 'Wait a minute,' he said, eyes wide. 'Are you drinking Vanya Ale? Hey, should a kid your age really be drinking that?'

'I already told you, I'm not a kid.'

'Man, it tastes really good, doesn't it?' Mead was boasting in a different way now. It made Meliodas smile.

'Yep,' Meliodas said.

'It's the best, sweetest, full-bodied,' said Mead with passion. 'Or so I hear from the adults.'

The bell that signified new customers rang, catching Meliodas and Mead's attention. It was Elizabeth and Hawk. Elizabeth headed over to Mead leaving Hawk to pull the door closed.

'You two made it back,' said Meliodas.

'So Mead,' said Elizabeth looking said boy straight in the eye, 'I hear you're quite the prankster with a bad sense of humour. The chief in your village told me so.'

'What's it to you?' was Mead's snappy retort. 'Who do you think you are, my mother?'

As Elizabeth and Mead began to talk, Meliodas just focused on his drink and the waves of warmth emanating from the ring on his chest. If [Y/n] were here, she'd have known what to do. It's not like Meliodas was bad with kids, but [Y/n]... Well, she would have given Mead a plate of food as soon as he stepped through the door.