Chapter 65 - The Almighty vs. the Greatest Evil

The blood fell from Escanor's mouth with a sickening splatter. Elizabeth watched her father's lips twist into a cruel sneer. In her mind, she could see his warm smile – the correct smile – but it didn't help to imagine. So Elizabeth turned to her mother.

As they had walked to where the battle was taking place, the chilling air around her mother had lessened. But it wasn't replaced by warmth. Instead, Elizabeth saw her mother's mouth turn down at the corners and her once-proud shoulders slump. But, as she watched her father fight, Elizabeth's mother tilted her head.

'What is it, Mum?' Elizabeth asked, reaching for her mother's hand. 'Do you recognise him?'

Her mother frowned, biting her lip. 'It's just ... he's kind of ... cute.'

Elizabeth gasped and turned to Merlin with a wide smile. Merlin didn't smile back, but Elizabeth wasn't going to give up hope. Even if she was going to die in three days, she'd make sure her parents were back together.

You watched the human and Demon Prince blankly. The last thing you remembered was having an argument with your mother. You screwed up your face, trying to remember more. You had flown to Nerobasta, that was it.

'What's the point?' you had said, sitting on the banks of a river and watching its waters run. 'Isn't there more to life than killing Demons?'

Nerobasta had frowned. 'More to life than winning? [Y/n], we are the saviours of this world. The other races worship us.'

'The Demons don't.'

'They hardly count,' Nerobasta had scoffed.

You had drawn your knees to your chest. 'They're alive too, Nerobasta.'

And then ...

And then ...

And then you woke up with that Fairy asking if you were okay with such a kind voice. You looked at him over your shoulder. His face was still kind and full of worry. All of these people around were kind. You could feel it in their life forces. And you had treated them so coldly, especially that strange human and the Fairy girl who clung to his arm. You blinked and had a strange vision of these people laughing together around a table. It was gone as quickly as it came and made the back of your throat burn.

An uncomfortable, thorny feeling travelled to your stomach so you turned away from them, back to that battle. The Demon Prince would help you focus. There was no way you'd have any feeling other than disgust for him. For him and his muscular arms. For him and his pretty hair. For him and his—

'What is it, Mum?' said the girl who claimed to be your daughter. 'Do you recognise him?'

No. The word was automatic in your mouth but you bit your lips to hold it back. 'It's just ... he's kind of ...' Hot. Pretty. Gorgeous. 'Cute.'

The oddly strong human reached out and grabbed Meliodas's head in one hand. But Meliodas just smiled. Your heart flipped.

'Don't you touch me, human,' Meliodas said in a deep, dark voice.

That voice. You knew that voice.

The forest was noisy. The life surrounded you. As you walked, all that noise and life just kept reminding you how empty you were. These plants and animals all had something that you didn't and you didn't even know what that something was.

A spark of anger raced through your veins. You caught it before it could disappear. So your mother didn't want to tell you anything. So Nerobasta, Ludociel, Sarmiel and Tarmiel couldn't be bothered to ask. You clenched your fists and raised your head.