Chapter 70 - March of the Saints

I understand the curse.

'You've been reading all morning,' Meliodas whined. 'Let's go do something.'

You looked at him over the book. 'I've nearly finished this chapter.' That wasn't strictly true, but Meliodas didn't have to know that.

It was quiet for a few moments. Peaceful. You turned a page and crossed your legs. It had been raining steadily all morning and it wasn't letting up. Meliodas sighed and shuffled something and sighed again. You ignored him.

Out the corner of your eye, you saw him get up. Meliodas's eyes flickered to you. You kept ignoring him, but your eyes narrowed as you read. That look ... He was planning something.

Meliodas yawned widely and stretched his arms above his head. His shirt rose up a little, exposing a good few inches of bare stomach. You held your book a little tighter. Once again, Meliodas looked straight at you. He started to unbutton his shirt. Slowly. You kept your book in front of you, but you weren't reading anymore. Now his shirt was hanging open, your eyes lingered on Meliodas's bare chest before travelling up to his face. He was smirking. Huffing, you turned back to your book. The sound of material falling to the ground. You couldn't help it. You looked up. Meliodas stood shirtless in front of you, hands on his hips and still with that self-satisfied smirk.

Knowing he had your attention, Meliodas turned and started collecting a new outfit, towel and soap. The rational side of your brain knew what he was doing. He wasn't really going to have a bath. He was teasing you. But the rest of you just watched. Watched his skin shift and change as he stretched and turned. Watched his chest rise and fall with each breath. Watched his smile turn smug.

You pressed the book to your face and took a deep breath.

'What are you doing?' You could hear the laughter in his voice.

'I'm reading,' you said, even though your voice was muffled.

You could hear Meliodas getting closer. 'Why are you holding the book so close?'

'... The print is very small.'

The chair shifted and something warm pressed against your side. 'Hm? It looks a normal size to me.'

He was close. So close. His breath on your ear. Heartbeats on your arm. Your breaths were fast and shallow. It was getting claustrophobic. But you knew exactly where you'd go if you moved even an inch. Meliodas leant against you even more.

Why were you even fighting it?

Meliodas's hair tickled your ear. 'Do you want to—?'

You threw the book aside and captured his lips with yours.

'Mother!'

You opened your mouth, but Meliodas quickly stepped on your foot. Oh. Right.

Elizabeth leapt into the woman's arms and you watched them embrace. Some sort of beast had hold of your heart, eating it bite by bite like an apple.

Meliodas tugged on your arm so you weren't looking at them anymore. Instead, all you could see was him. That was okay.

'Wake up!'

Something small and hard landed on your stomach.

'Wuzzgonon?' You sat up and tried to open your eyes.

The small something bounced on the bed next to you. 'Come on, Mama. Papa said if you don't get up now then he's gonna make all the food.'