Chapter 2 - The Sword of the Holy Knight

ابدأ من البداية

'I usually buy all my liquor wherever I can find it, but Vanya's stuff is special,' Meliodas explained as they walked. 'Best water you can find is here in this village. And with the grout growing down by the river, it's used to brew Vanya Ale. It's got fans far and wide.'

Meliodas wished [Y/n] was wearing her ring so she could reminisce with him. Vanya Ale was served at their wedding and was one of the first drinks he had persuaded her to try.

'Well it used to.' Hawk's voice brought him back to the present. 'Now the famous waters of theirs are bone dry.'

'Look, those herbs along the bank are dead,' Elizabeth pointed out.

Meliodas looked at her. Something wasn't right. 'What's going on?'

Finally they got to the village. The square was full of people. They seemed to be watching something happening in the middle. All their voices mixed together in the air.

Elizabeth laughed with glee. 'Just look at all the people out here in the square. Think it's some kind of festival?'

Only one way to find out. Meliodas walked up to some of the villagers standing on the outskirts of the crowd with Elizabeth and Hawk trailing behind him.

'Hey, what's up you guys?' he greeted cheerfully.

The men turned. 'Huh? Oh, it's the barkeep.'

'What's this festival for today?'

'Huh?' The man scowled. 'This look like a damn festival to you? We're trying to pull out a sword some Holy Knight jabbed in the ground!'

And now Meliodas and Elizabeth could see. In the centre of the square, dozens of men were pulling with all their might on ropes attached to a sword piercing the ground. They were sweating, their faces screwed up. Everyone around were watching them closely.

'He stuck it in the ground?' said Meliodas. 'Why'd he do that?

'Days ago,' a random voice from behind them started to say, 'a Holy Knight brought his wrath down upon us.' It was the village chief, a wizened old man with thick eyebrows. 'He infused his sword with mana, pierced the ground and locked away the water under out village.'

'If we don't do something about this soon, we'll lose our water and out grout, too,' said a villager.

Another chimed in, 'Then we won't have any more Vanya Ale. Damn!'

'A Holy Knight,' said Elizabeth. 'Think it might be that man you defeated the other day?'

Meliodas looked over his shoulder at her. 'Who? That Twiggo guy with the moustache? No, not a chance. He wasn't a Holy Knight.'

Elizabeth gasped.

'Trust me,' Meliodas continued, 'the real ones are a whole lot worse.'

The men pulling on the rope stopped. They were breathing heavily, come collapsed completely on the floor. Other rubbed their muscles.

'Only a Holy Knight has the power necessary to draw a sword belonging to another,' said the village chief. 'Breaking the news isn't going to be easy, but I'm afraid this village is done for.'

Elizabeth looked stricken. 'Oh no!'

'Oh, give me a break,' said a new voice. Meliodas looked at the kid walking past him. 'What's the deal with all this moaning and groaning?'

The villagers seemed to know the newcomer. 'It's Mead,' one said. They didn't sound pleased to see him.

'A Holy Knight's sword stuck in the ground is nothing,' Mead said with his hands on his hips. 'If my buddies the Seven Deadly Sins were here, that sword would be gone by now.'