Chapter 34 - Draco

Theo eyed him from the threadbare tweed chair beside his bed. "Draco, it's your turn. Make your move."

Arms crossed, Draco glared back. "I'm trying to think but it's difficult when you keep interjecting."

"Just move," Theo drawled while tapping his watch—a plain, black leather strapped relic—with a sarcastic grin.

"Piss off."

Draco contemplated the game of Wizard's Chess. His pieces stared up at him, eagerly awaiting his decision. Wavering between two different moves, he tapped the side of his bed impatiently.

Draco found that decisions never became easier with time. Time allowed doubts to surface and excuses to form. It was easy to rationalize a bad choice with time. A snap decision usually came from within, from his core. Away from outside influences—of which he had an abundance of. He had made such a decision earlier in the day. Now, time had ushered in doubts which were manifesting in the game.

Hovering a finger over the game board, Theo's mirth gained strength and he laughed heartily at Draco's frustration. "I already know what you're going to do. Do you want me to just move for you?"

"Theo, I've been employing Occulmency against you all game, there is no way you are reading my thoughts. Not for your lack of trying." Tapping his temple with this middle finger, Draco turned it into a rude one-fingered gesture.

"I don't have to read your mind, Malfoy. I can see it on your face."

"Piss off." Draco slammed his knight into Theo's rook, and the piece smashed his fist through the little tower. A pile of rubble laid where Theo's rook had been.

"Knew it." He returned Draco's rude gesture.

"I have told you that you are extremely irritating?"

"At least twice since I've been here. Speaking of annoying, where's Granger at? I thought she'd be here by now."

"She is attempting to restore a man's memory with her potion. He had been subjected to a memory charm, and with luck, she will set him right."

"St. Granger." Theo looked over the game board and called a position to his Queen. "Checkmate."

Draco leaned his head back on the pillow and rubbed at the tender spot on his head. "I guess that's what I get for playing with a Legilimens."

"I told you, I can read your face. I don't need to read your mind. Oh, hey Granger." Theo stood up roughly in a polite greeting.

Hermione had her hair tied back in a high bun, but renegade strands fell down like waves. Draco noticed the way the light caught her chestnut hair, the golden tones it cast around her face. Averting his eyes, he busied himself with the game board, pushing the pieces back to their start positions.

"Well, it's done. Draco, I did it. The potion worked, can you believe it?" She bounded over to him and threw her arms around his neck. He could feel the excitement and nerves emanating off her as he patted her back.

"Hermione, that's brilliant, I had complete faith in your work. Congratulations." Draco held her embrace and sighed into her neck. She smelled unbelievably good, her hair full of the flowery scent of jasmine he so closely identified with her.

"Congrats, Hermione. I'll leave you two, probably should head back. See you later, Malfoy." Theo took his leave and Hermione took his vacated seat.

During the past week, Hermione had barely left his bedside. Draco couldn't remember his first three nights in St. Mungo's, he had been unconscious and required multiple Blood Doubling Potions after the Bludger attack and Halvard's attempt to kill him. Now, all that remained was a dull pain issuing from his temple and a picture of the Deathly Hallows carved into his wrist—a new companion for the Dark Mark.