Chapter 18 - Hermione

"Can you hand me that book, Draco?"

"Which one? The Chronicles Of Nuremberg or From Grindelwald to Voldemort: A History Of Evil?" He blew a plume of dust of the former, and waved off the cloud.

"No, I've already read both of those. That smaller one." She pointed to a book clad in maroon leather with gold writing.

"You've read both of these? There's about a thousand pages in each." He flipped through one of the volumes.

"I read quick, it's a gift. Now, can you pass the History Of Durmstrang?"

"Ah, wait." He held out the book just out of her grasp. "You forgot to say please, Miss Granger."

Hermione jumped up to snatch the book, but he being six inches taller than her, it dangled easily out of reach.

Rolling her eyes in the most exaggerated fashion, Hermione straightened up in her chair and batted her eyelashes. "Oh, Draco. Could you please hand me that little red book, pretty please?" She added a fake, pitiful tone to her voice.

Draco handed her the book, still sniggering.

"You are a real piece of work, you know?"

"Blame my parents. Spoiled only child, you know?"

"I wasn't spoiled!" Hermione's parents made a decent living, but they certainly weren't the muggle equivalent of magical nobility.

"Neither one of us likes sharing attention."

Draco put her hand to his mouth and slid one of her fingers against his tongue. Hermione couldn't believe he was doing this here in the library, but she let it go on for five seconds longer.

"Okay, you have a point. Can I have my finger back?" Hermione bit down on her lip as he slowly pulled her finger out of his mouth.

He was doing a fantastic job of distracting her, the smell of sandalwood emanating from his temples cleared her mind, too. Cleared it of everything useful and replaced it with visions of him without his immaculately pressed shirt on. 

Out of nowhere, a bolt of green flames appeared and Professor Neeper's voice rang out. "Miss Granger!"

"Yes?"

Hermione had seen the Headmaster use this summoning system before but had never been on the receiving end.

"Touch the handle!"

Draco pointed to the bus strap that had appeared above her head, which was engulfed in green flames.

"Use the galleon if you need me," Draco whispered.

Grasping the handle with some trepidation, Hermione found herself outside his greenhouse of an office. Remembering how Halvard had entered the office on her first day, she turned the door knob and entered.

"Sir?"

"Hermione! Oh, it's so good to see you, my dear!" Professor McGonagall was standing in front of Professor Neeper's desk, beaming.

The elderly witch wrapped Hermione in a hug and breathed a deep sigh of relief into her hair.

Hermione had no idea just how much she needed to see McGonagall again until this moment.

"It's good to see you too, Professor!" Hermione exclaimed, stepping back. "What are you doing here, Headmistress?"

"Well, I needed to see you for myself. Mr. Potter came to my office urgently concerned for your well being. He seemed to be under the impression that you were not receiving letters addressed to you. Is that the case? Have you not been receiving post?"