Chapter 11 - Draco

Draco ran his fingers down Hermione's arms, wondering if he should kiss her. Wanting to kiss her.

Hermione's eyes fluttered open. She had nervously sucked in her bottom lip.

What the hell was he doing?

Day two, and he was already doing exactly what he wasn't supposed to. Draco felt like a bucket of cold water had just been poured over him. He knew his face must have been betraying his thoughts.

"Is everything ok?"

Draco straightened his shirt and took a step back. "Listen, Granger. Sorry about that. I'm not sure what came over me.  Lessons are canceled for today."

Draco turned to leave. Hermione grabbed his arm and smacked him full in the face, angry tears in her eyes. "Draco Malfoy, you truly are vile! Was that some game? Trying out a fake apology? Do you have any sense of decency?"

Hermione was nearly growling. The force of her voice made him take a step back. She was an exceptionally gifted spell caster.

"What the hell?" Draco rubbed his cheek. The pain helped clear his mind. This was what he deserved.

"I came here to avoid people like you! To get away from you and Potter and everyone who has an opinion about me. I certainly didn't come here to apologize to you, Granger!"

"Draco, that was not an accident! I know you feel something for me. You said it yourself. Stop being so conflicted or self-deprecating!"

And there it was again. Conflicted. She wasn't going to let it go.

"It's not self deprecation. It's the truth! I have done horrible, nightmarish things. I have thought and said unforgivable things. I don't deserve pity or whatever you are projecting on me. I am a Malfoy."

"Well, at least you are starting to be remorseful instead of an arse! It's harder, but it's much more cathartic."

Draco tried to cut in, but she barreled forward. "We will finish the flying lesson. And you committed to helping me in the library."

She was flush, angry red splotches spread across her cheeks, but Hermione wore a mask of determination. Draco decided agreeing with her was the path of least resistance.

He ran his hand through his hair and turned his back to her. "Fine." Cocking his head over his shoulder, "I still think you should stay away from me."

She grabbed her broom and strode over to him, her doe eyes and dewy lashes staring straight through him, "I'll be the judge of what I should do."

Breathing deeply through clenched teeth, Draco watched her walk past him. He owed her this much. He owed her a flying lesson and a trip to the library.

Then that was it.

He ran her through a series of flying drills for the next hour, trying to be as dispassionate as possible. Draco didn't touch the quaffles he had brought. That was too much interaction. He decided it was rage and regret that spawned the romantic encounter, so a level head was called for.

He gathered up his things and vanished the spare quaffles. Then he removed the Portkey from inside his pocket. Merlin, this was the part where she would be close enough to touch again.

"Save it, Malfoy," her voice rang out from over his shoulder. "I think I can handle the flight back. I feel more comfortable on the broom now."

"I thought I was the judge of your improvements. You still have insufficient control at high altitudes, and the flight back is through the mountains."