Chapter 6 - Hermione

Closing the lid of her trunk, Hermione gathered Crookshanks up in her arms and headed out towards the common room. She kissed Ginny good-bye, embraced Pavarti, but stopped short in front of Ron.

"Well, I hope you have a good term." She leaned in and hugged Ron's tall frame. His fingers skimming down her back.

"Goodbye, Hermione. Please, be safe," Ron quietly said. He walked out of the common room and up towards the boy's dormitory without so much as a backwards glance.

Hermione didn't have time to fume over his immaturity, her Portkey was set to leave in a few minutes, and she needed to head back up to her room. Her application to start her study abroad program at Durmstrang Institute had been approved. Moreover, her request to begin a full school year there was also approved. She knew there would be other Hogwarts students joining her in late January, but as of September 15th, she would be the lone student representing the school.

Many of her classmates thought she was offered this position because of Harry. That was bollocks, of course. She had asked for this opportunity, and her reputation as a no-nonsense student won out. Hermione couldn't wait to start her journey in a new place.

Back in her room, Hermione walked over to Ginny's nightstand and flipped through the photo album. She grabbed the picture of her and Ron and tucked it inside her robes. Who knew, maybe after a year at Durmstrang she would feel differently about Ron. Even if she didn't, Ronald Weasley was one of her best friends. After the incident in the Prefect's bathroom, Ron had tried to avoid her as much as possible.

As the little thumbtack started to glow, Hermione smiled. She grabbed hold of her trunk and her cat as the pull behind her navel forced her through time and space.

She landed smoothly on her feet in an office overrun with magical plants.

"Miss Granger, I presume?"

Brushing unruly hair from her face, Hermione nodded at the small, kindly man in front of her.

"Welcome to Durmstrang Institute. I am the Headmaster, Professor Neeper. Please, sit."

Hermione set down Crookshanks and shook Professor Neeper's hand. He was rather unimpressive for a Headmaster. Not intimidating like Karkorff had been or powerful like Dumbledore. 

"Very nice to meet you, Professor Neeper. I want to say that it is quite an honor that you have allowed me to stay for the year. I have read everything I can about the school. Your office is amazing. Is that wormwood?" Everything just started tumbling out of Hermione as her nerves and excitement began to spin inside her.

"Well spotted," Professor Neeper said with a satisfied smile. I like to keep my favorites around. I often allow students use of my private collection during their studies. I understand that you are quite the student yourself."

"That is kind of you to say. I do study very hard and enjoy learning new things." Hermione wrung her hands together in her lap, trying to contain the shaking.

"And how are you at flying or swimming? Do you have experience dueling?" Professor Neeper followed up with a more discerning look.

"Well, I'm no quidditch player, but I understand the theory behind flight. I do swim, not as often as I would like. As for dueling, well, I managed to survive the Battle of Hogwarts. I have some experience with defensive and offensive spells." Hermione finished a bit defensively.

"I see." Neeper raised brow at her. "As a seventh year at Durmstrang, you will be expected to be a leader amongst your younger classmates. We fly, swim, and duel daily. Dueling is encouraged between classes- obviously not when someone's back is turned, but in the proper fashion. Whether friend or foe, a duel is a way to sharpen your skills."