Chapter 22 - Hermione

"Mother, this is a surprise." Draco kissed his mother on both cheeks and embraced her warmly. 

Narcissa's blonde hair was pulled back in an impossibly tight bun at the nape of her slender neck. Narcissa Malfoy's elegance and grace radiated oppressively around her. The effect made you want to avert your eyes in embarrassment of your own shortcomings.

"I'm sure you remember Hermione Granger."

Narcissa surveyed Hermione in one long, dragging stare that started at her feet and moved up to her unruly curls. She felt exposed by the time she felt Narcissa's gaze probing her eyes, taking her measure.

"Of course, Hermione. It's so good to see you again. I'm sorry to intrude on your holiday, but I so badly wanted to see you two together. Draco has been raving about you for months. I could hardly resist. Would you mind indulging me? Tea at the House?" Narcissa looked innocently at Draco, and he nodded.

"Would you mind, Hermione?" Draco offered her his perfect smile, clearly trying his best to strike a balance between the two women.

"That sounds lovely, Narcissa. Thank you for being such a gracious host. The collection of books you have in the parlor is wonderful."

Hermione tried to harness as much refinement as she could muster. Stretching out her neck and rolling her shoulders back, she hardly cared what Narcissa thought of her, but in her presence, she felt obligated to convey a regal demeanor.

The trio apparated into the sprawling garden of the Provence House. The patio table had already been set for tea service. Biscuits and a kettle met them as they sat down.

"Hermione dear, Draco tells me that you have been working on a ground breaking potion that is likely to be published? How impressive. I would love to hear about it." Narcissa inclined her head towards Hermione, and gave her an encouraging smile.

"Yes, well he is kind to mention it. The potion is for memory retrieval. It was Draco's idea, I must admit."

While it was Draco's idea, she had been the one to painstakingly research and compose the incredibly complex draught - completely of her own creation. But, watching the way Narcissa fawned over her son, she decided to win a few points by giving him some credit.

"She just finished it and we plan on traveling to Australia soon to bring her parents back."

Draco put his arm around Hermione's shoulders and it helped ease the tension growing in between her eyebrows.

"Australia, how exciting. I haven't been in years. Are your parents are vacationing there?" Narcissa patted Draco's hand affectionately.

"No, not exactly on vacation. I had to modify their memory to protect them. It's complicated, but the potion should help reverse the charm." Hermione felt an embarrassed flush creep into her cheeks, unsure completely why.

"That was clever. I do hope it works. Having your parents around as a guiding light is so important. I look forward to meeting them."

Hermione watched Draco kiss his mother's hand and give her a satisfied look. He seemed to think this was going well. Feeling a bit more relaxed under his confident smile, Hermione took a sip of tea.

"Please excuse me, I need to use the restroom. I trust you can carry on in my absence." Draco kissed the top of Hermione's hair as he excused himself.

Narcissa watched him walk away, and then turned toward Hermione. In an instant, her face turned dark, and her recently gentle eyes flared in disgust. Hermione shuddered when she saw the ghost of Bellatrix laughing maniacally behind her sister's eyes.