Chapter 31 - Hermione

The Potions Quidditch match against Beast was held in the indoor Pitch, which Hermione was thankful for.

Clad in Potions green, Hermione screamed when Draco walked out with the rest of the team. The love she bore for him swelled as he waved up at her. Blinking back happy tears, she was oddly emotional, taking in the cheering crowd and the pride in her chest.

For the first time, she felt like a real part of Potions House. Familiar faces surrounded her, cheering and sharing sweets, the game seemed surreal. The match turned out to be an extremely close one. Nearly halfway through the game, Draco had scored fifty points to Clara's sixty, and Crimson's thirty. Beasts were still up by ten, and the crowd roared as Draco and Clara teamed up to snatch the Quaffle from a Beast Chaser.

With the quaffle under his arm, Draco raced towards the Keeper post. Hermione watched in slow motion as Yenner took Draco by surprise and smashed a bludger into the side of his head from five feet away. He slipped off the side of his broom and fell out of the air. Halvard managed to grab his wrist as he was falling and laid his bleeding body on the ground.

"TATI! SQUELCH! He needs help!"

Hermione heard Amira's shrill cry reverberate off her metal seat, and it ran through her like a razor blade.

Hermione could feel blackness encroaching on the outskirts of her vision. From her vantage point in the stands, the spot where the bludger had made contact with his skull looked mushy, and warm blood pooled on the ground around him. Students were pouring out onto the Pitch, and Amira had hot tears running down her face.

Hermione tripped in her haste down the steep steps of the stands and toppled down half a flight before she was able to stop her momentum. Tati's golden brown skin looked clammy under the pressure of her casting. One of the other Healers on the Pitch had summoned a potion, something as thick as cement, and was spooning it into his lifeless mouth.

He looked like a corpse.

Amira stepped back as Tati, Squelch and the other Healers crowded around Draco's body, trying to shove the life pouring out of him back in.

Amira grabbed Hermione around the waist and the two girls fell backward onto the turf crying. "Don't look at him Hermione, don't look!"

Amira was on her stomach now, screaming. "Fucking, fuck! Yenner, that bastard. I'm going to fucking kill him, I swear."

Tati was holding his shoulders and Squelch kept his head still as Draco had a fit on the ground. He was convulsing, bits of foaming saliva trickling down his face.

Unable to stand it, Hermione ran over to him and grabbed his twitching hand. He couldn't leave her now. Not like this. She found her voice hidden somewhere under her stomach.

"Draco. Draco, it's okay. I'm here. You're going to be fine. Just breathe, breathe and it will be fine."

His fit finally subsided. Eyes peeling open, staring at her for half a heartbeat, before slamming shut again.

Hannah Abbott had fallen to the ground at his feet, a black leather bag of potions and bandages in hand. Shaking slightly, she nodded at Hermione and unstoppered a phial of a smoking potion, and handed it to Tati.

Covering his wound, the elixir bubbled and fizzed, mending the worst of the bone fracture and staunching the bleeding. The deep, red blood covering his face made his skin look like fresh snow.

Squelch had gathered Amira in his bear-like grip. She was kicking and screaming at Yenner, who was laughing. Hermione gripped her wand, blind rage threatening to spill over when Draco squeezed her hand. It was a small movement, but she had felt it.