Chapter Twenty One~Preparing For Battle

After his meeting with Thorin Bard rides back over to Thranduil in Dale "He will give us nothing." says Bard angrily "Such a pity. But still you tried." says Thranduil "I do not understand. Why? Why would he risk war?" ask Bard "It is fruitless to reason with them. They understand only one thing." says Thranduil he draws his sword and looks at it "We attack at dawn. Are you with us?" he ask Bard and the rest of the Lake-towners gather their armor prepare themselves for the oncoming battle.

******************************************

At the same time the dwarves suit up in their armor, as Bilbo and Ash watch the dwarves suiting up for the battle they consult in each other "Bilbo how can I fight?" ask Ash "I wasn't expecting you to." says Bilbo surprised.

"You're going to need this." says Thorin walking over to the two he holds up the Mithril vest for Bilbo "Put it on." says Thorin Bilbo takes off his coat "This vest is made of silver steel. Mithril it was called by my forebears. No blade can pierce it." Thorin explains "Helpful." says Ash. Bilbo puts on the vest "I look absurd. I'm not a warrior, We're Hobbits." says Bilbo "It is a gift, a token of our friendship. True friends are hard to come by." Thorin says.

Suddenly Thorin looks around to make sure no one was there "I have been blind, but now I'm beginning to see. I am betrayed!" Thorin shouts in a voice only the two could hear, they look nervous "Betrayed?" ask Ash "The Arkenstone...one of them has taken it. One of them is false." says Thorin "Thorin, the quest is fulfilled, you've won the Mountain. Is that not enough?" ask Bilbo "Betrayed by my own kin." says Thorin not listening to them.

"No, uh...you...you made a promise to the people of Lake-town. Now is this treasure truly worth more than your honor? Our honor, Thorin. We were also there, we gave our word." says Ash Bilbo nods "For that, I'm grateful. It was nobly done. But the treasure in this Mountain does not belong to the people of Lake-town. This gold...is ours, and ours alone." says Thorin. As the two look at Thorin he begins to sound more and more like Smaug, a thought Ash hoped never to think.

*****************************************

The people of Lake-town are preparing their armor Gandalf rides into Dale "Let me through! Make way!" he shouts he notices the Elves teaching the people of Lake-town how to fight Alfrid see him and struts up angry "No, no, no! Oi, you! Pointy hat!" he shouts pointing at Gandalf.

Gandalf looks over to Alfrid "Yes, you. We don't want no tramps, beggars nor vagabonds around here. We've got enough trouble without the likes of you. Off you go. On your horse." he says "Who's in charge here?" says Gandalf.

"Who is asking?" ask Bard walking over Gandalf turns to face Bard he sighs.

**************************************

Gandalf is in a private meeting with Thranduil and Bard in a tent that the elves set up in the middle of Dale as a HQ sorta place "You must set aside your petty grievances with the Dwarves. War is coming. The cesspits of Dol Guldur have been emptied. You're all in mortal danger." says Gandalf "What are you talking about?" ask Bard.

"I can see you know nothing of wizards. They are like winter thunder on a wild wind, rolling in from a distance breaking hard in alarm. But sometimes a storm is just a storm." says Thranduil "Not this time. Armies of Orcs are on the move. These are fighters, they have been bred for war. Our enemy has summoned his full strength." warns Gandalf.

"Why show his hand now?" ask Thranduil.

"Because we forced him. We forced him when the company of Thorin Oakenshield set out to reclaim their homeland. The Dwarves were never meant to reach Erebor, Azog the Defiler was sent to kill them. His master seeks control of the Mountain, not just for the treasure within, but for where it lies, its strategic position. This is the gateway to reclaiming the lands of Angmar in the North. If that fell Kingdom should rise again Rivendell, Lórien, the Shire even Gondor itself will fall." says Gandalf

"These Orc armies you speak of, Mithrandir, where are they?" ask Thranduil.

***************************************

Outside of the stone cave a scary place were Orc are bread Azog and Ragash ride off; back to Legolas and Tauriel keeping watch at Gundabad. "If we are going in we should move now." says Tauriel.

Suddenly a horde of large bats appear flying above them "They are swarming." she says "These bats are bred for one purpose." says Legolas "For what?" "For war."

They notice Bolg summoning the rest of the Orc forces, along with the horde of giant bats 

"We must warn the others." says Tauriel 

"We may be too late – hurry!" shouts Legolas and the two hurry off back to the Mountain and Dale.

*******************************************

Back in Dale Gandalf is still trying to talk Thranduil round to not attacking the dwarves "Since when has my council counted for so little? What do you think I'm trying to do?" ask Gandalf "I think you're trying to save your Dwarvish friends. And I admire your loyalty to them. But it does not dissuade me from my cause. You started this, Mithrandir, you will forgive me if I finish it." says Thranduil  he turns to one of his elves "Are the archers in position?" he ask.

"Yes, My Lord."

"Give the order. If anything moves on that mountain, kill it. The Dwarves are out of time." says Thranduil as he goes to prepare the rest of his army.