Chapter Four~Story For Your Thoughts

**********************************

The dwarves are riding their ponies, and Gandalf his horse, down a path through a wooded area. A few words of their conversation are heard, including "waste of time" and "use hobbits".

Bilbo and Ash run up from behind them. 

"Wait! Wait!"

Some dwarves call "Woah!" and stop their ponies. they catch up to them and hands Balin the contract. 

"We signed it!" says Ash, Balin takes the contract and inspects it with a pocket glass. He then smiles at Bilbo and Ash. "Everything appears to be in order. Welcome, Master Bilbo and Master Ash, to the company of Thorin Oakenshield." says Balin. The dwarves cheer. Thorin doesn't look too impressed. 

"Give him a pony." says Thorin. 

"No, no, no, no, that--that won't be necessary, thank you, but I'm sure I can keep up on foot. I--I--I've done my fair share of walking holidays, you know. I even got as far as Frogmorton once--WAGH!" shouts Bilbo, his speech is cut off as two of the dwarves ride alongside him and pick him up from behind to put him on a pony. 

Ash laughs as Gandalf hands her the reins to a horse, she climbs up riding beside Bilbo who is riding a pony and looking quite terrified. The pony neighs and tosses its head, making him quite uncomfortable. 

"Come on, Nori, pay up. Go on." says Oin, Nori tosses a sack of money to Oin; sacks of money begin passing between the dwarves. Some of the dwarves laugh. 

"What's that about?" ask Bilbo. 

"Oh, they took wagers on whether or not you'd turn up. Most of them bet that you wouldn't." says Gandalf "What did you think?" ask Ash Gandalf doesn't say anything and catches a sack of money tossed to him and puts it in his bag. "My dear, I never doubted you for a second." says Gandalf.

Bilbo sneezes loudly. "Ohh. All this horse hair, I'm having a reaction." he says Ash rolls her eyes at this Bilbo searches his pockets for his handkerchief. He is unable to find it, and he looks up in shock. "No, no, wait, wait, stop! Stop! We have to turn around." says Bilbo. 

The entire company comes to a halt, and the dwarves start objecting and asking what the problem is. "What on earth is the matter?" ask Gandalf "I forgot my handkerchief." says Bilbo.

Ash mentaily facepalms "Bilbo Bilbo Bilbo." she say, shaking her head. Bofur tears a strip of cloth from his clothing and tosses it to Bilbo. "Here! Use this." he says Bilbo catches the rag and looks at it in disgust. The dwarves laugh and begin to continue their journey. "Move on." says Thorin. 

"You'll have to manage without pocket-handkerchiefs and a good many other things, Bilbo Baggins, before we reach our journey's end. You were born to the rolling hills and little rivers of the Shire, but home is now behind you; the world is ahead." says Gandalf

***********************************************

We see the Company travelling through many beautiful areas of Middle Earth, including forest, hills, and plains. 

The company has camped for the night near the edge of a cliff. As Gloin sleeps, tiny flying insects get sucked into his mouth every time he inhales, and they are expelled when he exhales. Bilbo watches in disgust, then finally gets up and walks around. 

Most of the dwarves are asleep; Gandalf, Ash, Fili, and Kili are awake. Bilbo walks over to his pony and gives her an apple, after checking to see that no one is looking. "Hello, girl. That's a good girl. It's our little secret, Myrtle; you must tell no one. sh, sh" says Bilbo, he hears a scream in the night air and becomes worried.