Chapter Ten~The Desolation Of Smaug

Shortly after the ending of the first adventure. Bilbo and Ash peek over some rocks on a high ledge and watches Azog and his Warg Scouts running along a ridgeline not far away, occasionally stopping to smell the air in their pursuit of the Company. Not finding anything, they continue on their way.

Suddenly, Bilbo and Ash hears a snarl from the side, and ducks behind the rocks. they peeks out and sees a large bear watching Azog from another pile of rocks, snarling softly. They sneak away. They have made there way down the rocks to where the dwarves and Gandalf are waiting to hear there spy report.

"How close is the pack?" ask Dwalin "Too close. A couple of leagues, no more, but that is not the worst of it." says Bilbo "Have the Wargs picked up our scent?" ask Ori "Not yet, but they will; we have another problem." says Ash "Did they see you? They saw you!" shouts Gandalf "No, that's not it." says Bilbo. Gandalf smiles and turns to the dwarves. "What did I tell you? Quiet as mice. Excellent burglars material." says Gandalf.

The dwarves chuckle loudly in appreciation of them. Ash looks exasperated that no one is hearing Bilbo out. "Will you listen- Will you just listen?" ask Bilbo "I'm trying to tell you there is something else out there." says Ash.

The dwarves look worried. "What form did it take? Like a bear?" ask Gandalf "Ye..." starts Bilbo he pauses and looks curiously at Gandalf. "Y- yes. But bigger, much bigger." finishes Ash "You knew about this beast?" ask Bofur to Gandalf, he turns and walks a few steps away. "I say we double back." says Bofur "And be run down by a pack of Orcs." starts Thorin.

"There is a house, it's not far from here, where we might take refuge." says Gandalf "Whose house? Are they friend or foe?" ask Thorin "Neither. He will help us, or he will kill us." says Gandalf. The dwarves looks at each other in dismay. "What choice do we have?" ask Ash.

A roar splits the night behind them; it is the bear. "None." says Gandalf.

**********************************

The company is running through plains and across streams. "Come on!" shouts Gandalf.

As the Company runs through a forest, Azog and his Orcs are racing through the forest too. Azog urges his party on. Both groups stop suddenly when an ear-splitting roar sounds nearby. "This way, quickly!" shouts Gandalf As the dwarves panic and run, Bombur looks on in shock until he is pulled along. "Bombur, come on!" shouts Bofur.

They exit the forest, they spy a house surrounded by a hedge in the middle of a plain. "To the house! Run!" shouts Gandalf, Ash ran beside Bilbo to help him keep up with the group. The Company runs across the plain; Bombur, the fattest dwarf, outruns all the rest of them in his fear. They run through a gate in the hedge. "Come on, get inside!" shouts Gandalf.

They run to the front door of the house; it is closed. Bombur, who reaches the door first, throws himself against it but falls flat on his back when the door doesn't budge. The rest of the dwarves catch up and begin throwing themselves against the door, trying to open it. Gandalf looks back as a massive bear breaks out from the edge of the forest and runs toward them. Thorin, pushing through the dwarves pressed against the door, manages to raise the exterior bolt, opening the doors.

The entire company bolts inside the house and they try to slam the door shut, but the bear has already gotten its head in the door. As the bear roars and tries to push the door open, the dwarves yell and strain to close it. Bilbo pulls out his sword and points it unsteadily at the bear. Gandalf looks on in apparent amusement. The dwarves yell as they press against the door. With a final heave, the dwarves manage to close the door and drop the bolt across it. They sigh in shock, fear, and tiredness.

"What is that?" ask Ash tired "That...is our host." says Gandalf. The dwarves, Ash, and Bilbo turn to Gandalf in bewilderment. "His name is Beorn, and he is a skin-changer." explains Gandalf, Oin checks his hearing trumpet to make sure he has heard Gandalf correctly. "Sometimes he's a huge black bear; sometimes he's a great strong man. The bear is unpredictable, but the man can be reasoned with. However, he is not overfond of dwarves." says Gandalf.