Chapter Thirteen~Unexpected Alignment

The river has calmed down, and the dwarves paddle along in their barrels with their hands. "Anything behind us?" ask Thorin "Not that I can see." says Balin "I think we've outrun the orcs." says Bofur "Not for long; we've lost the current." says Ash, really tried "Bofur is half drown." Dwalin "Make for the shore! Come on, let's go!" shouts Thorin. 

The dwarves, Ash, and Bilbo paddle to the riverbank; they climb out onto a slab of rock jutting out a bit into the river. When Kili is on the rocks, he falls to his knees in pain from the arrow wound in his thigh; it has been bound with cloth, but blood is seeping through. Ash looks at him concernedly. "I'm fine, it's nothing." says Kili. 

Ash puts her sword away "On your feet." says Thorin "Kili's wounded. His leg needs binding." says Ash out of breath "There's an orc pack on our tail; we keep moving." says Thorin "To where?" ask Balin "To the mountain; we're so close." says Bilbo "A lake lies between us and that mountain. We have no way to cross it." says Balin "So then we go around." suggest Ash, Bilbo nods "The orcs will run us down, as sure as daylight. We have no weapons to defend ourselves." says Dwalin "Bind his leg, quickly. You have two minutes." says Thorin. 

While they bind Kili's leg, some of the dwarves sit down and Ori kneels by the river to empty his boot of water. Ash stumbles holding onto the rock to keep her up Bilbo holds on of her hands as she lays down "Are you alright?" he ask she nods "I'm fine just the gem drained a lot of energy from using it so long and for a first time." she says.

Unbeknownst to them, a man, sneaks up over the pile of rocks and aims an arrow at Ori. As the dwarves realize a man is there, they jump up, and Dwalin, holding a branch, leaps in front of Ori. He raises the branch and begins to charge the man, but the man shoots his arrow and it embeds itself right in the middle of the branch, between Dwalin's hands. Kili raises a rock to throw, but the man shoots the rock out of his hand too. 

Ash jumps up takes out her sword and pins him to the rock sword to his neck trying not to show how tried she was "Do it again, and you're dead." she says. Balin, who is standing near the edge of the group, sees a barge floating in the river behind the man. He talks to him, approaching him slowly with his hands held in the air. 

"Excuse me, but, uh, you're from Laketown, if I'm not mistaken? That barge over there, it wouldn't be available for hire, by any chance?" ask Balin, the man lowers his bow and Ash lowers her sword helping him up, he climbs aboard his barge as the dwarves approach. "What makes you think I will help you?" he ask "Those boots have seen better days." starts Balin, the man begins loading the dwarves' empty barrels into his barge. 

"As has that coat. No doubt you have some hungry mouths to feed. How many bairns?" ask Balin "A boy and two girls." says he says "And your wife, I'd imagine she's beautiful." says Ash, shushing Balin "Aye. She was." says the man, Ash face turns sollem "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-" she starts "It's alright I can tell your like her. Now. What's your hurry?" he ask "What's it to you?" ask Dwalin "I would like to know who you are and what you are doing in these lands." ask the man "We are simple merchants from the Blue Mountains journeying to see our kin in the Iron Hills." says Balin.

"Simple merchants, you say. Traveling with a Human?" ask the man with a grin "Funny." says Ash "We'll need food, supplies, weapons. Can you help us?" ask Thorin, the man looks at the barrels and examines the various dents and nicks they received during the fight with the orcs. "I know where these barrels came from." says Bard "What of it?" ask Thorin "I don't know what business you had with the elves, but I don't think it ended well. No one enters Laketown but by leave of the Master. All his wealth comes from trade with the Woodland Realm. He will see you in irons before risking the wrath of King Thranduil." says the man. 

Ash's breath hitches the man boards his barge and tosses a rope to Balin. Thorin mouths to Balin. "Offer him more." "I'll wager there are ways to enter that town unseen." says Balin "Aye. But for that, you will need a smuggler." the man says "For which we will pay double." says Balin the man looks at him suspiciously. 

***********************************************

The orcs run beside the river in pursuit of the dwarves, who the current has carried far ahead of the orcs. "Don't let them go away!"

***********************************************

In the woodland realm, Legolas and Tauriel have brought their captured orc to Thranduil's throne room. As Legolas stands with his knife pressed to the orc's neck, Thranduil paces around it. "Such is the nature of evil. Out there in the vast ignorance of the world it festers and spreads, a shadow that grows in the dark. A sleepless malice as black as the oncoming wall of night. So it ever was; so will it always be. In time, all foul things come forth." says Thranduil 

"You were tracking a company of 15 Why?" ask Legolas "Not 15; not any more. The young one, the black-haired and the blonde one both archers, we stuck him with a Morgul shaft. And if fate should bring the blonde anywhere, she will surely be killed." he says The orc speaks this while facing Tauriel and Legolas; they look worried. 

"The poison's is in his blood. He'll be choking on it soon. And the blonde has a death mark we saw it and it wasn't us who gave it to her." he says "Answer the question, filth." says Legolas "I do not answer to dogs, She-Elf!" the Orc shouts Legolas pushes the orc a bit as Tauriel whips out her knife. "I would not antagonize us." he says "You like killing things, orc? You like death? Then let me give it to you!" shouts Tauriel she rushes forward with her knife, but Thranduil speaks.

"Enough! Tauriel, leave! Go now." says Thranduil The orc snarls at her, but Tauriel manages to regain her composure and leaves. "I do not care about one dead dwarf or Human. Answer the question. You have nothing to fear. Tell us what you know and I will set you free." says Thranduil "You had orders to kill them - Why? What is Thorin Oakenshield to you?" ask Legolas "The dwarf runt will never be king." says the Orc "King? There is no king under the mountain nor will there ever be. None would dare enter Erebor, whilst the dragon lives." says Legolas "You know nothing! Your world will burn!" he says. 

"What are you talking about? Speak!" shouts Legolas "Our time has come again. My master serves the One. Do you understand now, Elfling? The man who gave her the mark your father. Death is upon you. The flames of war are upon you-" starts the Orc Thranduil, whose eyes have widened upon hearing about "the One," suddenly whips out his sword and beheads the orc, leaving the orc's head in Legolas's hand.

The orc's body, although separated from its head, shakes violently. Thranduil stomps on its leg to stop the shaking. After hearing what Legolas has heard his eyes face the ground "There was more the orc could tell us." he says "There was nothing more he could tell me." says Thranduil he turns and walks away, sheathing his sword "What did he mean by the 'flames of war'?" ask Legolas "It means they intend to unleash a weapon so great it will destroy all before it." says Thranduil he addresses the elven guards. 

"I want the watch doubled at all our borders. All roads, all rivers. Nothing moves but I hear of it. No one enters this kingdom, and no one leaves it." he says and turns to walk "The Orc said you marked her is this ture?" ask Legolas "Yes." says Thranduil "Why?" he ask "She is a wretched Dragon Heart snake." Thranduil says and walks away. 

Legolas approaches the elves guarding the entrance to the Woodland Realm. "Close the gate! Keep it sealed by order of the King." says Legolas he turns to walk away in sadness, but one of the guards calls out. "What about Tauriel?" ask a guard Legolas stops short. 

"She went into the forest armed with her bow and blade. She has not returned." says the other. 

As Legolas walks toward the gate, the guard points out toward the forest in the direction Tauriel went. Legolas looks anxious. "Leave." says Legolas, they do to inside Legolas looks at his sword and bow. 

Tauriel she went after that dwarf my father will have her head.......But if I don't go he will find Ash as well, I need to get to them before my father dose. 

His hand leaves the door as he rushes into the forest.

A/N 

Short chapter next one will be longer promise.

~Roses