15th Chapter: Plans

Amelia spent the next few days, behaving like the quiet and compliant Companion, the other Wraith expected her to be. The Elder, never let her out of his sight. Always keeping her close, never permitting the captive female to roam freely. Affection for the Wraith's trophy Handmaiden was pursued, only when absolutely necessary. 'Trophy' was an odd word, but that was the only way the timid female could understand her, personal feelings on the mater.

Ever since the altercation with the scar-faced monster. Certain phrases stuck in the confused humans mind, '...Used you, to lure him...' was one of the more dreadful thoughts. The echoing memory forced Amelia to reevaluate her relationship with the Elder, constantly. The Wraith's angry statement, 'We are not!' abraded her thought's, every time they feign intimacy. But it was her enemies' drug induced declaration, that haunted the female's Day-mare's.

'How did you gain... Both of their compliance, at once?' Every time she spotted a glimpse of that awful Wraith in the shadows. That thought, resonated in her mind, without answer. Amelia's worst nightmare had returned to haunt them, daily. Thankfully, he didn't dare approach the Elder, a second time.

Originally Scar-face had been assigned to duties that took him away from the main Keep. That explained the monster's absence, in the previous weeks. Apparently, those duties had ended, recently. Leaving the horrifying beast free, to terrify the human female, relentlessly.

The Elder conceded that short explanation to Amelia's depressively quiet stare, early in the morning. Unfortunately, the knowledge caused her mind to be overly restless, for uncountable hours. Explanation's where few and far between, rarely offered, and almost never asked for, these last few uncomfortable days. She thanked the old Wraith for the information and wallowed in her quiet solitude. 'There were so many more unanswered questions.'

Every day after breakfast, they indulged in a short stint in the gardens. The day's duty cycle was an endless supply of exhausting hours. Each one spent scrutinizing various Wraith Underlings. A barely friendly sparring session started to occur regularly, bringing the vigorous routine to an end. The monogamy became tedious quickly and every unanswered question, left Amelia that much more, numb to her surroundings.

'This chaste relationship had to be what the Wraith meant, by Companion's.' The depressed female's mind echoed quietly inward. It wasn't hard to notice the old beast's temper hadn't flared, recently. Hating herself for wanting anything different, was not an option, she was willing to explore. This emotionless relationship, with the protective beast, was all the trapped female, truly needed to survive.

'And if the Wraith wasn't lying. Do I dare let hope thrive?' Troubled thoughts kept the exhausted female from getting any useful rest, in days. 'What did he mean by "both"?' The distracted human sighed heavily, consumed by unspoken thoughts.

"P-e-r-h-a-p-s, you lack, i-n-c-e-n-t-i-v-e." The Elder's tone-full and resonating voice snapped Amelia's mind free from its wondering daze.

"This is pointless. You overpower me, every time." The frustrated female sighed heavily and turned toward the Elder's prowling form. The beast's guard was up, and his eye was obviously, tracking movement.

"For every, a-t-t-a-c-k, you can land against me, physically. I will answer one of your, lingering questions." The Elder stopped moving, and displayed a sinister grin. When he raised one hand toward Amelia's position in the room, she shook her head 'no' in return.

"And have you blow life, out of proportion. No thanks." Amelia huffed and looked away.

"I do not understand your... i-n-s-i-n-u-a-t-i-o-n." The beast stepped forward curiously and Amelia reached one hand toward him. She knew the Wraith would catch it, so her other hand was already swinging. The combat trained female swatted the beast's leathered chest, as her body started to spin around. She pushed her captured arm down, using the Wraith's strength to lift her body up off the ground.