season 1 | chapter 13

KAI RELEASED AN amused huff and spun around

KAI RELEASED AN amused huff and spun around. He shoved his hands in the pockets of his jeans, except for his thumbs outside of the pockets' brim.

He glanced at his watch and continued, unperturbed. "And right on time," he praised, averting his eyes from the accessory.

His arm dropped to his side. The jacket slid down, shielding the watch from view. Cell phones weren't allowed on academic grounds. Therefore it rendered the acquisition of a watch to save the students from trouble an inevitable necessity. 

His eyes aligned with hers. He wasn't puzzled by her impatience if her tapping her foot was any indication.

Lyla couldn't fight the urge to voice aloud her retort. She had every right to. She was dragged in the backyard at a time she was supposed to be carefree from academic duties. She should be lounging on the comfort of her bed. "What are you breathing, sarcasm?" she scoffed.

"You'd be surprised if I said I didn't."

He was humoring her. Lyla may have had appreciated the slight effort of breaking the ice in a casual and witty way, but her nerves weren't contributing to the most rational, open-minded thinking.

As much as she didn't want to recognize it, his answers were phrased in a manner she never encountered in boys. Then again, she had admitted to Max that Kai was anything but dumb. His way with words and the wit behind them were signs of a smart person, a person whose wild spirit was reflected through his speech.

She may have been getting ahead of herself, but that was how she perceived him from the evidence she had collected thus far.

She sighed, the prospect of leaving becoming apter. "Can we just get this over with?"

The pleading look in her eyes and the resignation to her fate sobered him. For her, there was no escape route.

Kai flattened his lips. He nodded with understanding, pulling both hands out of his pockets. One stood still on his side while he lifted the other, challenging her to come at him. "Show me what've you got."

Lyla stood rooted to her spot. She couldn't find the proper explanation, but she was unsure of her next move. The rumors circulating Kai Hudson stated one thing; he was pretty damn powerful, in both terms of fighting and magic skill.

Despite Lyla's strict rule of trying everything for herself first and not rely on the rumors or on a foreigner's opinion, she was in the unpleasant position of confirming the speculations.

The radiation of his magic aura was strong. It commanded attention and demanded to be recognized. Lyla was positive it would be a force to be reckoned with.

Still, he wouldn't let his level intimidate her.

Lyla wasn't a coward back to the days of her old school where she had set not-so-gracefully her backpack on fire. She was a horrible, novice magic wielder. The aftermath of her inability to hold the reigns of her magic was the neverending mockery she received for the following months of the school year. It all occurred before she made Electra Anderson's advice a reality—to get the hell away from those people and apply for Goldstream.