Baxter x Anxious Scientist Reader

Story requested by Assassins_poison, hope you enjoy.

Another sigh escaped your lips as you sat back onto the cushioned stool placed behind you. 

Another test had gone wrong and you were getting pretty stressed over it. Your eyes had already started to water, some tears dripping down and covering the inner bottom rim of your safety goggles with a thin layer of the salty liquid.

You had recently been working on a special kind of bomb that your friend Angel had requested from Baxter. Knowing the fish didn't really like to do other people's requests, you had decided to take the matter into your own hands. You didn't really think it would be that hard. Yeah, you thought wrong.

Now here you were, about 25 failed experiments later and you were no closer to finishing this project than when you first began. It honestly felt like a hopeless situation, one you had a feeling you were never going to get out of. That is, until you heard the door to the lab open.

Instantly, your head shot up and you turned to look at the door to your lab room, hoping that Baxter doesn't come in to see your failed experiments. Then again, life doesn't work like that, does it?

Luck, being the jerk it can be, decided it wasn't going to be on your side and you figured that out as the door slowly opened. Once the door was completely touching the wall, Baxter walked in. His head was down as he looked at a clipboard that he held in his gloved hands. His own pair of goggles placed over his aqua eyes.

He didn't seem to acknowledge your presence as he walked to the opposite side of the room, picked up a beaker off of the far table, and started back towards the door. Unfortunately, you had shifted slightly on your stool which caught Baxter's attention. Turning to you, he removed the goggles off his face.

"Hello Y/n, I didn't know you were in here. Are you working on something?" He asked, lowering his clipboard slightly and placing the beaker in his coat pocket.

Instead of answering, you just turned and looked at the row of failed experiments on the table in front of you. You didn't have anything to say, in fear that it would ruin Baxter's thoughts on you. You couldn't afford to spoil your reputation with the fish scientist, especially not over something that was so easy a beginner could do it.

Baxter, raising an eyebrow at your lack of words, turned and followed your gaze. Upon seeing the piled up failures, he walked over and stood next to you. Placing his clipboard on the table, he continued to stare at the repetitive trial and error of your work.

"U-Um Baxter, are you-"

"Do you need some help?"

The question caught you off guard, you were frozen mid question. Baxter, who really wasn't a guy for conversation or hanging out with other beings, just asked if you needed any help. You felt like crying all over again.

You didn't though. You kept your composure, albeit with slight shaking, and nodded your head slowly. Folding your hands over your lap, you turned and looked at the mad scientist.

"P-please. I would greatly appreciate that." You muttered, eyes watering. Damnit, you told yourself not to cry.

"This is the bomb that your friend asked for, correct?" He questioned, leaning over the table and grabbing a few charred beakers. He also grabbed the piece of paper you had recorded your results on. His eyes widened in surprise. "And you haven't made any corrections to any of these experiments?!"

There it was. The sound of your reputation as a great scientist going down the drain. Man, why did life have to be so cruel? And then, the floodgates opened.

"I-I'm so s-sorry Baxter! I-I'm s-such a dis-disappointment-" You wiped your eyes with the sleeve of your coat and gave a small sniffle. "S-Scientists are s-s-supposed to learn from their m-mistakes and I d-didn't even fix a-a thing!" With that, you slumped over onto the table as a bawling mess.

Baxter jumped at your sudden outburst, and looked at you, setting the result paper beside you on the table. He was confused on what he needed to do. He wasn't used to comforting crying people, or comforting anyone on anything in general.

"Y/n? I-It's ok. I'm not mad, it's just I've never dealt with an experiment like this, with a repeating outcome. I'm just surprised you didn't come to me after the 10 attempt, I would've been more than willing to help you with this." He placed a hand on your shoulder and patted it awkwardly.

You picked up your head and looked at his aqua eyes with your puffy red ones. "R-Really? Y-You would h-have helped me?" You asked, your voice hoarse from crying. The fish nodded in response and leaned down. Your eyes widened as lips suddenly met yours. They were chapped and tasted slightly of smoke, but it was sort of comforting. It took a minute before you finally began to kiss back, your eyes closing as your arms wrapped around Baxter's neck.

Baxter followed the notion and placed his arms around your waist, and slowly began to shiver slightly. He wasn't used to touching or being touched for this long and it was getting to him. Eventually, you realized this and pulled away. Baxter refused to make eye contact with you and just turned back to your result paper, picking it up with shaking hands.

"I-I'll gladly help you with this experiment, just promise me next time you'll ask me for help, ok?" He asked shakily. 

"I will, I promise." You said with a smile on your strawberry red face.

"G-Good, then let's get this started."

________________________________________________________________________

(954 Words)

Hello everyone, thank you all for so many views and votes. 

I'm so sorry I haven't been posting any stories and I have no excuse for my absence. I'm going to try harder, but no promises. Thank you for being patient with me, I only hope you can continue to stay with me.

I have more requests to work on, and I will try to get to them

Have a good day my little readers, and thank you for reading this.❤️