Rekindle

Matty sat beside me in Ross's car. Turns out that talk meant now and seeing as I didn't have my car, Ross threw me the keys to his and told me to be safe.

I run my hands over the steering wheel to calm my nerves, turning the corner to get back onto the main road. Matty fiddles with the radio, flicking between the stations before he finds a song he's happy with.

"You changed your hair again." Matty says, I see him point from my peripheral vision at my hair trying to make conversation.

I nod, "The bleach was killing it, I like it this colour."

"Black was always your colour." He says awkwardly scratching the back of his head. "I'm kind of seeing someone."

"Ross told me, what're they like?" I ask, switching lanes before turning my head back to Matty.

He looks puzzled for a second, almost like he didn't expect my answer "She's nice I guess? It's pretty early days."

"Are you clean?" I ask him gently.

Matty sighs "Yeah, a few months. It's fucking awful."

We continue our journey in silence, other than the hum of the radio playing. My thoughts scattered from being around him.

Before I can stop myself I speak "I got your letter. I'm sorry I never got back to you, I was working on myself."

He goes to speak but I haven't finished "It was a reminder that even though we aren't together, we'll always apart of each other's lives. I was hurt but I got over it and realised that making art is how you deal with your pain and what a masterpiece you made."

"M'sorry some of them make you seem like a bitch, you're not. You've always been too good for me." He says timidly.

I shake my head "Matty, please stop apologising. I love the album, you're my favourite story teller. You should see my paintings if you think the songs are rough. There are always two sides to a situation and both of our feelings were valid even if they're somewhat hard to hear. Anyway let's get food I'm fucking starving."

Matty had and always will be my best friend. When you've spent your entire life with a person, all the experiences you've had together build a bond. It's like you're making a soul mate whether that be in a romantic or friendship type of way. I needed him and he needed me and that was ok.

He laughs "I've missed you, Sting."

"I've missed you too, Marty."

The two of us were sat at a table, a stack of pancakes in between us as we shared a plate. We had caught up on each other's lives, it was like we had never been apart.

Matty finishes his mouthful of food before speaking "I got a dog, well technically Sam and I got a dog but his names Allen."

I tut and laugh "Of course you named your dog after Ginsberg, you pretentious twat. I got a cat, her name is Pluto!" to which he scoffs and shakes his head trying to hide his smile.

"Beatrice, you did not just call me pretentious and then in the same sentence tell me you named your cat after an Edgar Allan Poe short story."

I kick his foot under the table like when we were kids and he pulls a funny face "Why did we never have a pet?"

"It would've made pet custody hard after we broke up so good job we didn't really." I joke before going back to my food.

Sam had text me asking for me to go to the studio to drop off some paperwork. I tell Matty who says he'll come along, paying for the bill before holding the door open for me.

He pulls me into his arms, resting his chin atop of my head and letting out a deep breathe.

"I thought I'd never see you again, I need you to keep me sane." He says shakily, holding me as if I'd disappear.

"You're doing just fine without me, but I'm here now. I've missed you my little mcfly."

I feel Matty's chest vibrate against mine from his laughter "God do you ever stop quoting Back To The Future?"

"It's like it was meant to be M, sorry I don't make the rules."

a/n: sorry it's been a while, been super busy. this is a bit of shitty chapter but i didn't really know how else to do it tbh. I felt like it was important for them to have each other