Facedown EP

The band had been staying in London with Jamie and his family for a few weeks to be near the studio.

I hadn't gone so long without seeing them ever, it had been 4 weeks since I last saw them but I'd spoke to them all on the phone when they called excited that they'd actually recorded songs professionally.

Today, Blue and I were going down to London to see them. Matty called last night and asked me to invite Blue down so that's what I did. It was still early, I'd driven to the shop to pick him up and then we were off.

We arrived in London 4 hours later, I parked round the back of the building and locked my truck after us and we'd got out.

I open the front door to the building, letting Blue enter first and take in his surroundings. He absolutely loved music, the many tales I've heard of him following bands back in his youth still linger in my brain. Blue always believed in the boys and he loved us all as if we were his own he'd told us once so I knew being here meant a lot.

A door opens from somewhere in the building and I hear a familiar voice "She's my girlfriend, I want to see her first. George, let me past."

"Matty get off his back" I hear Adam sigh.

Blue laughs "They may be 23 but they still act like kids" before he shifts his head in the direction of their voices and we move towards them.

I couldn't help but laugh at the sight in front of me, the four of them were crammed in the narrow doorway of Jamie's office fighting to get out first. Matty had jumped on George's back, trying to pull him away from the frame. Ross was shaking his head at the two of them whilst trying to get under George's arm to get to us and Hann was stuck behind the two idiots telling them to get off each other.

The other workers were laughing, the four of them in their own bubble and hadn't even realised that a) I was stood in front of them and b) everyone was watching them.

I whistle at them, they all look up in unison and I laugh at how they responded to that. They run, throwing their arms around me and pulling me close.

"How're my favourite boys?" I ask, smiling at them all. They all reply and pull me tighter.

"Missed you!" Matty says, pulling me into only his arms once everyone had let go.

"Missed you too, excited to see what you've been working on" I reply, kissing him.

"I fucking love that song!" is the first sentence to come out of my mouth when George presses play on Facedown. The effect on the end gave me goosebumps.

He was sat at the mixing desk with Mike, fiddling around with buttons that I had no idea how to use.  Headphones around his neck, sat in a hunched position with his feet crossed and tapping in rhythm to the beat.

The door opens to the studio, Hann appearing from behind with a bag of takeaway food. He had offered to go for lunch for everyone.

He hands me my tofu fried rice and goes over to George and Mike to give them their food before sitting in the seat next to G.

Mike speaks up after finishing a mouthful of food "I think it's almost done, just want Matty to re-record one part of the verse for Antichrist and then we're done, need to mix it a little more!"

"Sick, can you believe we're going to have an EP out?" George says excitedly. I shake my head in disbelief at him, it didn't feel real.

The door to the studio opens again, this time Blue and Ross strolling in mid-conversation about a bass line Ross wanted to try. They grab their food and sit down on various stools in the room.

The room is filled with Matty's vocals yet again, this time a new layer added for harmonies. Speaking of the devil, he comes in smelling of smoke and sits down next to me on the sofa before stealing pieces of my food.

I lean over to speak to him "You sound really good on this EP! Everyone's going to love you."

He grins before letting out a sigh "You think? Hope you'll still be my number one fan though darlin'"

"Always."

We spent the rest of the afternoon listening to different demos that the boys had recorded but weren't ready for this EP. Blue got to play around with the mixing board which had him and George geeking out together over how cool it all was.

Matty rested his head in my lap for most of the afternoon, exhaustion taking over him and we revelled in each other's company.