Muse And Marty

"That was so good, thank you for coming with me!" I told Matty, the film had just finished and I loved it more than I imagined.

"Anything for you, now where too next? I'm thinking hit the arcade and then back to mine?" He says, throwing more and more popcorn into his mouth.

It's 6:30pm, true to his word we had spent all day together, just the two of us like old times. I was getting pretty tired but he seemed so happy right now, something he wasn't so often nowadays.

"Yeah alright, I'll race ya there?" I take off, not giving him a chance to comprehend what I'd just said.

"Oi that's cheating" I hear him laughing behind me, catching up to me pretty quickly considering he had longer legs.

We make it to the arcade, I won the race but I knew Matty always let me win. Our favourite game was Space Invaders which we went to straight away and played for a while.

Matty played some kind of basketball game and won a flamingo teddy that he gave to me because I loved flamingos. I christened it Marty of course.

We took photos in the photo-booth, messing around and enjoying ourselves. After an hour we decided to get some ice cream and head back to Matty's.

I got honeycomb ice cream because it's the best flavour and Matty got chocolate with extra chocolate sauce. We decided to eat them on an empty bench across the road, enjoying each other's company.

"I really enjoyed today, may seem like a small thing but nothing beats spending the day with my favourite emo boy" I tell him, adding emo on to wind him up but the sentiment was there.

"Well I quite happen to like spending time with my favourite artist" He retorts back "Oh reminding me of art, d'ya wanna go get stoned at our place?"

I laugh at this, only Matty would correlate the two together. "And this is why you're my best friend" I tap the side of his face whilst he grins at me like a puppy.

We were by the river, Matty was leaning against a fallen tree trunk on the ground smoking whilst I span in circles as if I was Stevie Nicks except I wasn't as magical as her. I was stoned and had two left feet.

I finally let myself slump down next to Matty on the ground, looking up at the stars you could make out through the trees above us.

"Sometimes I wish I could just run away" Matty says in a blasé way, throwing a stick he'd found before continuing "I don't think anyone would miss me all that much Muse."

I look at him with furrowed eyebrows "Only if I can come with you cause I'd miss you a bloody lot" I pout at him "The boys would miss you, your family would miss you, literally everyone in your life. What's wrong M?"

He sighs "All my parents do is fight, they're never home and when they are they just go at each other constantly. Mum's just getting worse and it's like they forget they have me and Louis."

"Louis will grow up knowing he has the best brother who would sacrifice anything for him and he loves you. Your parents don't mean to drag you down but I don't think Denise even knows what's going on half the time. You'll always have me, mi casa, su casa and all that. Y'know Annie and Vin would literally have you move in with them with the click of a finger." I pull him into me sensing he was going to break.

Matty shifts around so he's comfier, his head on my torso, legs spread out on the dirt below us and my arms resting on him. "I just want everything to slow down Bea, I have all that at home and then we finish school in a month and a half and I don't even know what I want to do. There's too many thoughts up here" He points to his head.

All of a sudden he shifts onto his knees, grabbing my face in his hands "Run away with me?" he says with teary eyes.

"Marty you know I would love nothing more but we can't. You don't even need to know what you want in life, we're sixteen, the world is ours. I can see if I can get you a job where I work, Blue loves you!" I tell him, trying to desperately reassure him everything will be ok.

"All I know is that life is fucking loud and all I want to do is be young forever where all that matters is you and the band. I don't want to be part of that corrupted system" He whines, cuddling into me more.

We sit in silence then for a little while, I play with his hair in a comforting way and he hums a tune I was unfamiliar with. "Av' been writing songs" Matty startles me at the sudden noise. Chuckling he continues "They're not great but I thought we could maybe add a few to our gigs to make it more original."

"You've always had a way with words, you're like my very own wordsmith. I think the boys would like that, get a proper name and everything. I've been looking around different venues for gigs more often" I tell him.

"Sounds ridiculous but I can imagine us standing on a stage in front of a few hundred people one day singing our songs. Also you're an angel" He kisses my cheek before sitting up "C'mon, better get inside before it rains."

"I can see it too. I'll be front row dancing away."