Elio

The mid afternoon sun blazed down upon me, a glass of fresh homemade lemonade cradled in my hands as I listened to the conversation in front of me.

Matty and I had decided to go for a stroll around the town earlier today, hand in hand we took in the beautiful architecture of Majorca until we stumbled upon the most bizarre yet magical looking villa.

Its furniture appeared to be outside, chairs scattered all over the decking outside, we stopped to take it all in when a man emerged from the doorway noticing our curiosity he walked towards us.

"Buenas tardes!" He calls in a friendly tone.

"Hola, buenas tardes, habla usted Inglés?" I say back, trying to remember the Spanish I had learnt. I'm more fluent in French than Spanish.

"Sí, I see you were admiring my house?" The unnamed man answered.

Matty takes this as his sign to jump in, moving forward with his hand stretched "I'm Matty, this is Bea" he says pointing towards me, "This is a real beautiful place you've got." The man took Matty's outstretched hand and shook it.

"Elio and thank you young man. Please if you'd like, come in" Matty looks to me and I shrug in response, this man seemed welcoming and at least we were together.

Elio, we had come to learn was a Spanish artist, he was 58 and lived here by himself as a widowed man. The villa was like something from the 1960's, the endless shelves of vinyl held original Beatles records, signed Elvis Presley memorabilia and the most eye-catching piece was a framed photo of him with Jimi Hendrix.

Matty asks him about how meeting Hendrix was "Ah well, I was your age, just 19 when I met him. It was April of 1970, my soon to be wife and I had travelled to California to his concert. We waited outside after the show and he came out, took his photos and I told him how much he had changed my life. Very special moment" Elio recalls as if it was yesterday, his smile was a clear indication he cherished that memory.

After I told him I was also into art, he took my hand and led me through to his studio, Matty following in tow. The walls were adorned with paintings, varying from the cobbled alleyways of Majorca to portraits of people. His work was stunning, sunsets in colours of vibrant oranges and pinks, I wish I could just wrap it all up and take it home with me.

"Elio, this is incredible" I finally speak, he smiles graciously at me before leading Matty into another room which was a library.

We were now sat in the garden, lemon trees surrounding us for miles, there was something so welcoming about Elio. He had asked us about our lives and what the rest of our plans were for the trip.
A box of beat up literature books sat at the bottom of Matty's feet waiting to be explored by a fresh set of eyes of a new generation, his fingers danced along my arm reminding me he was here although I think he was subconsciously doing it.

It was now 7pm, the sun lowering in the sky and the sound of the waves more prominent at this hour. We had spent all day with Elio, it was so refreshing to meet someone who was so creative and humbled yet had been through so much hurt.

Matty stood reluctantly and announced we should be getting off, Elio made him promise to email him some of Drive Like I Do's music as well as me sending him some of my artwork over to show him.

Elio took our photo under the lemon trees, telling us that today had been one of the best of his life in a very long time. I hugged him tight, he whispered quietly "You both remind me of my wife and I so much" I pulled back slightly to smile softly at him when he continued in Spanish so only I could understand "Querida, él te quiere mucho. Te deseo infinita felicidad" (My dear, he loves you very much. I wish you infinite happiness)

Matty came up beside me, hugging Elio as well and thanking him for today and also for the books. He takes my hand in his, interlocking our fingers and I can't help but smile down, remembering what Elio had just said.

We bid farewell and make our way back to our hotel, shoes being discarded at the door before we both crashed into the pillows of our bed.

I turn onto my side, propping myself up on my elbow and look over to Matty. His curls sprawled across the pillow, eyes shut and a soft smile adorning his face. Sensing eyes on him, he opens his eyes and waits for me to speak.

"I wish we could take him home with us" I say, sad that we had to leave.

"So do I, but he gave us his email address and we'll keep in contact. He was really fucking cool though. That's the kind of artist I want to be, humbled and carefree, living my life with the band and waking up to you" He says before attacking me with kisses.

I giggle, his curls tickling my neck as he continued pressing kisses all over me. He stops, dangling over me as I swoop up his curls "I love you."

"I love you too."

"Promise that we'll grow old together and after the band is done we'll retire somewhere like here. Even if the band never ends I promise to buy you whatever house you want in any country" he links our pinky fingers together before rubbing our noses together eskimo style.

"I'll hold you to that Healy."

a/n: this is my favourite chapter so far