Boyfriend

It was now a month after that encounter with Matty, I had gotten a job at the record shop in Town that I loved. Matty and I carried on like we were before after a few days, I couldn't go without seeing him every day so I got over it. One month of school to go and then it was all over.

I'd met a boy called Ryan, he had come into the shop and we hit it off pretty well and were now dating. It wasn't anything serious and I think he liked me more than I liked him but I was trying to get over Matty and Ryan was nice to start off with.

We'd hung around with the others a lot, Ryan didn't really get along with the boys especially Matty because Matty didn't like him. Shock. I was expected to like his girlfriend and be nice to her but he couldn't make the effort with Ryan. The other boys had talked to me in private and raised concerns that they didn't like him as well.

It was a Tuesday night and the lads had come over for a movie night, wherever Matty went so did his "girlfriend" Cerys so that resulted in her ending up here and now Ryan had just arrived.

We were in the living room, tv on and arguing over what film to watch. I obviously chose Back To The Future and was met with 6 no's, but a smile from Matty.

The pizza's we had ordered were due to be picked up in 10 minutes and it was a 10 minute walk so I got up to put my shoes on and told Ross and Hann that they were in charge.

Ryan noticed I had gotten up and opened his mouth to speak to me "I can come with if you want? Extra pair of hands" offering to help.

"Oh no, it's alright thanks tho-" I'm cut off by Matty who's decided to interfere.

"Nah it's alright, I'll go with Bea whilst you stay here Ryan" he gets up, Cerys looking at him confused telling him to sit back down.

"Ok? That alright with you Bea?" Ryan turns to me and asks.

"Uh yeah sure, we'll only be 10 minutes anyway" I tell him. At this, Matty gets up to put his shoes on whilst I look to my side to find Ross, Hann and George all staring at me wiggling their eyebrows.

I roll my eyes at them and make my way to the front door where Matty's stood with it open ready to go. I shut it behind me and we make our way to the pizza place.

Matty had been acting really weird recently so I decided to question him. He offered me a cigarette and I declined, Ryan doesn't like smoking so I've tried to cut down. 

"M, have I done something wrong or something? You've been acting kinda weird" I ask him. He runs a hand through his hair and down his face before replying.

"Y'know Cerys and I aren't even dating properly, we just mess around and she clings to me. We aren't like boyfriend and girlfriend or anything" He rambles.

"What's that got to do with you acting weird around me?" I question him curiously.

"Alright, honestly I've noticed Ryan is controlling you. You've always been about empowering women and yet you're changing yourself because he forces you too" He lets out, inhaling a drag off his smoke.

I stop in my step, taking a minute to think over what he said. I mean honestly he did have a point but I was trying to fit in by having a boyfriend, I'd heard Mia talking with her friends at lunch saying how weird I was for hanging around with the boys and never having dated anyone. Plus Ryan was the only boy who had ever shown interest in me.

"I am, you know I am but I can't help it. Mia and her friends make fun of me every single day at school for being weird and now they've laid off a bit since I started dating Ryan so I'm just staying with him for a while" I tell him, realising I sounded stupid.

In my sixteen years alive I had never been bothered about other people's opinions on me. I just gave them the middle finger and got on with my life and never let it affect me. For some reason, having the girls in school make fun of me for being my own person kind of stung? I guess it's because Mia has been around a lot with dating Adam for so long and she knows why I don't really hang around other people and yet she still does it.

Yes, Ryan was controlling but my chance of freedom from the names was with him seeing as they stopped making fun of me for being "frigid." It's ridiculous I know.

"Muse, trust me when I say out of everyone in this town you are the most deserving of love and greatness. Remember when we were 11? You cried when that bird got caught in the fence for days, you nursed it back to health so it could fly again. Now it's your time to fly and that's not with someone who's going to make you change for them." He takes my hand in his. "Now take a fucking drag on this, it's been weeks since you smoked and I know it helps" handing me the cigarette in typical Matty fashion.

I inhale deeply, letting the smoke settle in my lungs before breathing it out enjoying the buzz. We'd finally made it to the pizza place and Matty told me to sit on the wall outside whilst he went in.

He came back out and sat next to me on the wall, offering me a slice of pizza from the box. "I wish it was just us two tonight, I feel like we never spend any time on our own anymore especially with all our exams and the free time is spent as a group" I tell him honestly.

I see him nod in my peripheral vision, swallowing his mouthful of pizza before answering "How about tomorrow is a "Muse and Marty" day? We can do whatever you want but the rule is just us two" he says nudging my shoulder.

I hum in agreement "I'd like that but only if you're sure."

He stands up with the pizza boxes, I stand up with him and we start walking back to mine.

"Don't get me wrong, I fucking love our boys with all my heart but I'm in need of a good cuddle sesh and I can't with them around cause they take the piss. Plus I promised to take you to see X-Men when it came out" I smile at this, remembering when I found out last year that it was coming out and Matty promising to come with me.

We soon made it back, going inside and greeting everyone with pizza. We spent the night watching horror films until Ryan and Cerys left at 1am and the boys just crashed on the sofas.