Chapter 13

The dinner included of various cuisines, however the one's eating it, had no appetite. The room was quiet and king and queen were astonished upon that silence. It seemed as if something gruesome had happened and now it was time to mourn. And then Jame's voice broke it.

"My king you had greeted me with utmost honour and have taken very well care of what I please, however now, is the time for me to leave" .

James said it with a smile, however the experienced eyes of the king noticed something else. In an astonishing sound he replied

"has something displeased you?"

"no my king, I'm very much contended by your hospitality, we've signed some very important trade agreements adding the benefit of me learning a very impressive tax system but...

James continued with a pause

"I don't see any reason for me to stay longer than this, so I've decided to leave tomorrow morning"

While finishing his sentence he glanced upon Alexandra, that contact didn't seem to effect her, although his words were like swords for Alexandra and Arthur, because it meant Arthur's leaving, which was unbearable for her. She stared at Arthur and wanted to say let's run, but instead she kept quiet.

"James I have more experience than you know, I am certain of you being disappointed in something, let me know the cause" replied King Anderson in a humble yet stern voice.

"I am the reason for his leaving" said Alexandra impulsively

Everyone looked at her with astonishment. A deep silence broke in the room, king and Queen were shocked, moreover the maidens in the room whose job was to serve them food; had their mouths wide-open.

Alexandra was looking down, but suddenly she pulled herself together, rose her head, looked at the King in the eyes; and in the most fearless manner ever seen,. She continued

"prince James made a proposal earlier this day and... I refused"

King's eyes opened wide.

"Alexandra why on Earth would you reject his proposal?"

Asked queen in a surprised manner

"why does it come as a surprise mother, it is supposed to be my decision and I don't want to tie the knot with him". Alexandra said in a rude manner, not realizing the impact her statement would have.

James rolled his eyes while Arthur looked worried

"there must be a reason behind your refusal? "

Asked King in a polite manner

"I... I am in love with someone" replied Alexandra

Queen was surprised and Arthur shook his head, he was praying for her not to mention that, but his prayers seemed to be unanswered. However James looked at her in sheer disappointment. He was of the view that she might not say that and would cover this topic in any other way, but she was being brutally honest.

"Alexandra go to your room" king ordered

"but father... " Alexandra was interrupted by king

"you heard me once Aexandra" the king said in a mighty manner

Tears fell from her eyes as she had never heard her father in that tone. It was a surprise to her, that the King and Queen seemed astonished at her decision. She went to her room. Many thoughts crossed her mind, she was not sure why her parents were behaving like that. They had always guided her to take her own decisions after consideration, then why was this becoming such a hugeg concern.

                                         ...

"James, my apologies for Alexandra's behaviour. Give me few days and I assure you of her approval". The king said after Alexandra left

"My king her behavior will not jeoperdize our agreements.... but if you are certain of her approval; write to me and I will immediately arrive for Gardenia along the king and queen of Queensland for the proper engagement ceremony".

Arthur's expressions said, yeah right, get her to marry you on force. He was amazed at how different James was sounding than his personality. He was not someone who'd persuade a person, let alone a girl forcefully.

"very well you have my word, then" replied King.