The Right Thing

"And then he just stormed off?!" Diane yells in my ear as I stuff another cold spoon of chocolate ice cream down my throat.
"Yes, I've said the story three times!" I exclaim that empty painful bubble in my heart returns as I scoop out another bite.
"Yes but I'm adjusting! Well you can't just let him walk all over you!" She says and I nod in agreement.
"And you can't have him using you for power" she adds,
"Yup"
"But you also don't really care about the power" oh no where is she going with this. I simply nod to the statement she makes as she continues,
"And you really really really like him"
I raise a brow at her, I think I know where this is going.

"You guys are happy, and without all this underground shit you get the husband you want, the life you want and hopefully the children you want!" I feel the ice cream go down slowly and it almost chokes me.
"What do you mean?!" I question angrily,
"What do you mean what do I mean?!" She replies with her usual fast paced witty self.
"Your saying i should just let go of everything that his father and my own father did to me?! Let go of the hell I've gone through?!" I yell annoyed that my own best friend, who is probably right, won't side with me!
"I'm not saying forget! I'm just saying that they aren't apart of your life anymore and they won't have the means to hurt you. You can live your life the way you have been struggling to live it with the plus side of Damon avenging you for you, and your gonna throw that all away for what?! Petty revenge that might ruin the one thing you've got going for you! I love you Kate but sometimes your shallow and blind to what you already have!" I swallow her words as they drive a punch into my heart. She's right...and I'm stupid.

"Wow, thanks" I say staring down at my feet.
"Well I was feeling bitchy and you kind of gave me the room to insult the fuck out of you" she says chuckling and I smile,
"You can always trust me to be brutally honest" she says smiling back and grabbing some ice cream on her spoon and shoveling down her throat.
"So what did I do now?" I ask feeling like that was a real reality check.
"Well you could start by talking to your hubby" she says smirking and I scowl, we left things on such a bad note that maybe he needs space.

"Ohhhh no don't give me that face! That's the I know I messed up face and I'm gonna try and let it smooth itself over! No no no no no no no no! And no! How long has it been since you last talked anyway?" She asks
"Ummmmm maybe a weekkk" I respond trying to mumble cause I know what her reaction will be.
"ONE WEEK! How?! You guys flipping live together!" She yells my ear feeling like it might fall off!
"It's just I've been in school he's been coming back and forth. You and I haven't spoken till now and it's all just becoming a mess!" I yell back suddenly feeling terrible and kind of wanting everything to just work out. But I know it won't, I know one of us is gonna have to make the move and I'm not sure Damon will.

"I just th-" she begins but a loud bang causes us both to jump and we both turn to where the sound came from.
"Fuck! Hold it down!" Damon? I shoot up and run to the living room seeing the door wide open and Damon right in front of me. The sure of him shocks me as he has his friend Luke draped over his shoulder covered in blood while he clutches his stomach.

Damon is also bloody, he's bruised all over his face, his white shirt is drenched in blood and he has a hole in his shoulder! Was he shot?!
"Damon!" I shriek fear filling me to my core! His eyes meet mine and suddenly everything I've learned as a medical student kicks in as I turn to to Diane who is staring in shock,

"Get towels! Diane towels, a bowl of water and find a first aid kit!" I yell, she moves quickly and that's why I love her.
"Damon sit him gently down on the couch! Don't force his position let him find his comfort" I demand helping him move Luke and sitting him down on the cream colored sofas which are now bloody. His warm blood stains my hands too and I try to keep everything as sanitary as possible.
"Sit Damon" I say acknowledging that he's also hurt and that he also needs medical attention.
"I can't I have to go!" He says moving away but I stop him.
"Sit down now!" I yell my voice booming as Luke groans in pain. Damon stops and listens and as much as it shocks me I focus on Luke as Diane brings me everything that I need.