Chapter 21: The Answer

- Link's Pov -

I could hear Dharkon's footsteps on top of the cage. I hear how he walks back and forth. It was maddening, to say the least. Hearing footsteps, the ocean, and the pebbles that occasionally fell from their spot on the mountain. I heard one of those pebbles and my eyes continued to stare at it as it fell down. I could just imagine the sound it made once it hit the ocean. The small splatter as it then slowly fell to the deepest end of the ocean floor. "Do you wish to be that pebble, Link?" Palutena asked, suddenly. I turned around to look at her. "I guess so. I want to escape from here and save Pit and Pitoo from whatever is corrupting them." I explained, sliding down against the bars. My legs against my chest as I wrapped my arms around them and put my head down. "So, you want to be someone who escapes their prison only to be thrown away?" Palutena clarifies. "Eh? Well, I wouldn't put it that way. I just wanna escape from here and help save everyone." I replied once again. "I see..." The Goddess of Light mumbled. "How do you think the game characters are doing?" I asked, my eyes gazing back to the ocean. "I would like to believe that they saved many game characters along their journey. And I just hope they notice that something is wrong." Palutena explained, playing with her hair. "You wish, Goddess! No one is getting through me!" Dharkon yelled out as he slammed his foot against the top of the cage. We both flinched at the sudden sound and rolled our eyes afterward. "Palutena...now, that we're here all alone. I was wondering if you can tell me what happened." I spoke, hesitantly.

Was I still overstepping boundaries? Were they still not gonna tell me what happened between Pit and I? I deserve to know the truth. "Between you and Pit?" She asked, her eyes widen slightly. "Yeah, please, tell me. I have the right to know too, you know!" I replied. "Yes, well, I suppose you do. But, I don't wanna explain while someone is on top of us." Palutena whispered as she pointed upwards. I looked up and remembered that Dharkon existed. I sighed as I realized he can and will eavesdrop on us. "But, I will tell you in another way, Link," Palutena whispered, smiling afterward.

"What? How so?" I asked, intrigued. "Time will tell, Link. You'll see..." Palutena mumbled, looking right beside me. I looked back to remember one other thing. It was night time already, we had spent most of our day trapped here as prisoners. I looked up to see the moon shining brightly and being reflected by the ocean's small waves. "Alright, bedtime! Go to sleep!" Dharkon yelled, slamming his foot against the cage. I sighed as I laid down on the cold surface then, I looked at Palutena. The Goddess just winked and blew something towards me. Something that made me...sleepy.

+×+
- 3rd Person -

A white angel ran through the woods. He kept running and running until he found an open area. An open area filled with big and small rocks, sunflowers, a huge lake, and trees that circled the area. The angel looked around the place to find the person he invited. And there stood the person all the way on the other side of the lake. The angel's heart skipped a beat as a blush appeared on his cheeks. He breathed in and out then, began to run to the other side to meet up with the person.

"Link!" The angel yelled out as soon as he reached up with the person. Link turned to look at the angel and waved as he fiddled with his green tunic. "Pit, why did you call me here?" Link asked, hands going in the pockets of his pants. Pit fiddled with his fingers and looked at the lake for a minute or two. He sighed softly and looked up at Link with a huge smile. "This place is very special to me since I arrived in Brawl. It was so peaceful, quiet, and beautiful. I always wanted to share this place with someone I care deeply about." Pit explained.

"And well, you are that person that I care deeply about. I-I, uh, I love you!" Pit admitted, quickly as he shut his eyes. He blushed intensely as he realized how he stuttered at his words. "Are you joking or something?" Link asked, coldly. Pit's heart dropped and his face turned pale as he slowly opened his eyes. "W-What?" Pit stuttered, confused. "Pit, are you joking or something?" Link asked again. "N-No! I'm telling the truth when I say I love you!" Pit exclaimed, his blush slowly disappearing.

"Pit, honestly, you're not my type, sorry. You're too extra, loud, and sometimes borderline annoying." Link explained, looking away from Pit's eyes. The white angel's eyes widen at the harsh words that stabbed him in the heart like a knife. "If anything, I would rather date your twin than you." Link continued as Pit's throat closed up. "Pitoo?" Pit questioned, tears swelling in his eyes. "Yeah, Dark Pit. He's quiet, calm, and thinks about what he'll do or say before he does it." Link explained and Pit looked down. Was his twin really better than him that Link would date him?

Why was Link saying these awful words? Was Pit really this unbearable? "Sorry, Pit. But, I don't share the same feelings you do." Link spoke, looking down as well. After a moment of silence, Link looked up and walked around Pit before stopping. "I'll see you at the next battle, partner." Link spoke, coldly before he walked away. Pit stood there with his head down as he tried to process what happened. A single tear dripped down his face as he bit his bottom lip. Those words. It happened. Pit fell down to his knees as more tears fell down.

He didn't find someone to share the open area with.