Chapter 17: Nightly Chats

- 3rd Person -

Link, Palutena, and Dark Pit all sat in silence as they stared at the fire pit in front of them. It was finally night time and they were relieved to have seen the day go by so quickly. They had to battle small enemies along the way and make sure not to lose any of the items that they had packed. But, now, here they were. The fire was crackling as everyone waited for the food roasting over it to finish. "So, how is everyone feeling now?" Link asked, putting his knees to his chin. "That came out of nowhere, don't you think?" Dark Pit replied, chuckling a bit. "Well, I mean, we have to get comfortable with one another, right?" Link spoke. "That is one positive way to look at the situation we are in," Palutena mumbled, smiling slightly. "I'm doing alright, I'm just so tired and hungry!" Palutena spoke, holding onto her stomach. "Same! How much longer do we have to wait for the food?" Dark Pit whined. Link chuckled as he looked at the meat frying over the fire. "Well, would you look at that! The food is already done." Link responded, putting the meat on a stick. Once he was done, he handed them over to them then, letting himself have a piece. "Wow! This is so good!" Dark Pit exclaimed, continuing to eat the meat whole. "Exactly! Link, you are such a good cook!" Palutena complimented. Link smiled as he began to eat his food knowing that the other two enjoyed his cooking. Finally, once dinner was over, they all settled in for a small chat about the plans they were going to do for the journey. It was tiresome for them as they didn't want to do anything at this point.

"I'm glad that Rosalina gave us this map though, it's helpful." Link spoke, taking out the map. "How far are we?" He asked as he handed the map to Palutena. She carefully looked over it as the other two sat in impatience just waiting to hear their progress. "We've done a good job so far since we traveled about a few hundred miles from our original location," Palutena spoke, rolling up the map. "But, we still have a long journey ahead of us. Though, if we continue on this route. We'll just need to pass through four more stages." Palutena explained, handing the map to Link.

"That's nice to hear for once." Link spoke, yawning afterward. "Well, I'm heading over to sleep." He spoke, getting up. "Alright, we'll stay up for a while. Palutena and I need to talk about something." Dark Pit responded. Link grabbed his backpack and took out his blanket and a small pillow. Once he settled the items on the ground, he slowly covered himself with the blanket. He turned over just so the other two wouldn't know he might be eavesdropping. "Goodnight! Don't stay up too late!" Link exclaimed. "Goodnight!" Palutena and Dark Pit responded in unison.

"Well, what is it you wanna talk about?" Dark Pit asked, lowering his voice. "Pitoo, I wanna ask if what you are doing is a good idea," Palutena spoke also lowering her voice. "I mean, don't you think it's better to tell Link the truth about what happened between them?" She questioned. Link wondered what they were talking about as he tugged onto his blanket. He heard Dark Pit scoff at the remark and his body tensed at the sound. "What's there to lose? What's there to win?" Dark Pit responded, crossing his arms and looking down. Palutena could see a glare coming from him.

"Well, still, what's the point in hiding something so significant from him?" She asked, curious. Something like the incident could help Link get back his memory quickly. "I don't know why but, something is telling me that Link should find that out by himself. I don't think he would believe me when I explain what happened between them." Dark Pit explained, uneasiness in his tone. "Even so, do you really think Link will remember in time?" Palutena asked. Link continued to wonder and ask himself what they were talking about. Clearly, it's something about memory and an incident.

"I'm sure he will. Besides, I wasn't the only one to drop a hint about it. I'm sure Pit dropped many hints about it ever since we started the tournament." Dark Pit replied, smiling lightly as he looked up at the sky. "True. Pit is a very easy person to read and I doubt that Link wouldn't get a hint or two." Palutena spoke, giggling a bit. They both missed the angel dearly and hoped to get him back soon from the enemy's clutches. "Yet, I feel like Link is the only person who couldn't read what Pit was saying." Dark Pit mumbled, continuing to stare at the night sky.

Palutena's smile dropped slightly as she stared at the angel in front of her. She slowly got up and patted the angel's head to get his attention. "I believe it's time for us to rest. We wouldn't want to feel tired on our journey, now would we?" Palutena spoke, gently. Dark Pit nodded slowly and got up as well. Link laid there as he thought about what he just heard just now. He wondered what this incident was. He wondered why Palutena questioned why Dark Pit was hiding something.

Link heard the sounds of items being pulled out of backpacks. The items being settled down on the ground. Finally, he heard the fire being put out. Link continued to think about what was said. Palutena kept thinking about the incident and wondered what would have happened if things went differently. Dark Pit wondered why he was keeping the incident from Link a secret. Yet, their minds weren't occupied for long as tiredness soon consumed them. Their eyes slowly shut tight as they drifted off to sleep with only one thing in mind.

And that thing was Pit.