Chapter 9: Lie

Slowly you blink, eyes adjusting to the flickering lights in the bathroom.

Wait, why am I on the bathroom floor? Whose bathroom is this? You rub your eyes, trying to see better in the dim lighting. Your head throbs, a feeling you're no longer used to after spending your nights sleeping next to Jungkook. And that dream...you saw more this time, but it's already fading from your memory.

You're running. You can hear the footsteps of another trailing. You turn the corner into the castle gates, almost careening straight into the tall, lean man in front of you. His honey blond hair sways in the wind, his eyes piercing into you and the person who just caught up to you, whose hand is now grasping yours.

"We need to get to the cellars. Now."

The three of you take off, you still clutching the hand of the raven-haired man who is now pulling you along after the other man in the same uniform. The tassels on their shoulders rock back and forth as they make twists and turns along the castle halls carrying you down towards the servant's quarters and the kitchens. Through the kitchen, a doorway leads to the cellar, and behind the third barrel on the back wall is a secret passage into a candle lit room. Around the wooden table sit 5 other men, dressed similarly to the blond and black haired ones.

Upon your entrance, they leap from their seats, rushing over to kneel in front of you. You hear your voice asking them to stand.

"It appears the worst has come to pass."

Your voice sounds strange, with a lilting accent foreign to your ears.

"Princess, I beg you to reconsider, maybe there is another option—"

You shake your head solemnly. You feel the fingers intertwined with your own give a soft squeeze, and turn to face him.

"M'lady. I will follow you to the ends of the earth."

The two shortest ones, one with striking platinum blond hair and the other the color of obsidian, share a look of longing that does not go unmissed, before they begin to move the table, revealing ancient runes while the others grab the baskets at the edge of the room, placing small bags of herbs on the floor.

You pull the hand you're holding so that the owner would face you.

"I have no fears, I know we are destined to be together. Maybe the next time that we meet, it will be a more tolerant age, where a princess and a mage can be together."

Your free hand caresses his face, but all you can see are his eyes. Deep bronze eyes that hold you in their galaxy, igniting a love so deep.

"It's ready, princess."

You turn and face them. Six of them are kneeling along the edge of the circle, the seventh finally releasing your hand to join the others.

"A great sacrifice is about to be made by us. We must bind this evil to the depths whence it came. I do not make this decision lightly, and I.." you feel yourself reach up and wipe a tear as you stare at the faces before you, settling last on those starry eyes as your heart clenches, knowing that this decision would save humanity, but sacrifice the love of your life. The love of your entire existence. As well as your loyal subjects kneeling before you. The bravest seven men you had ever known.

"...I know that this is for the greater good."

The ground rumbles, shaking the earth around you in the cellar.