Chapter 1: forever rain

You sit at your desk in the TA's office looking over the last of your papers to grade. It's late and you are most likely the last person in the building, but you lost a bet to your TA partner, Seokjin, so here you are reading all of the research papers alone. You look out the window at the moon sitting low in the trees, rubbing your temples. You can feel one of your headaches coming on. They have been a constant thing in your life since you were a child. Well, ever since your parents died.

"Ugh!"

You let out a groan, scrunching your face up. You can't grade any more papers tonight. Looking down at the current paper you're reading, you notice that it belongs to the star student in the program, Kim Namjoon, with his topic of Racial Microaggressions and their Somatic Effect on Minorities. He's brilliant, and though you have barely read the paper, you mark it with an 'A' and set it aside.

Grabbing your bag and cell phone, you know that if you don't get home soon, you will be rendered immobile in the office from the effects of this headache, as well as the storm rolling in. You turn off the lights and lock the office, making your way down the steps of the Psychology building to the barren parking lot on the left, where your moped is parked all by itself. You put your bag in the basket and climb on. Thankfully, it's dark outside, and with the lack of traffic at this hour, you don't have to worry about blinding lights from other cars as you make your way to the teacher apartments. The ground is wet from the earlier rainfall, and the scent of impending rain fills the air, humid and heavy as you breathe in. It feels like one of those nights where things are 'happening'; change is upon you.

You make your way into your building after scanning your badge at the door, and head down the hall to your apartment. It might be small, but you live alone with 2 cats. Plus, you're able to fit what you need in it without any issue. You turn on the soft entryway light and lock the door behind you, setting your keys on the kitchen counter and leaving your bag on the floor. You stumble as you make your way to your room, where you fall onto the bed without disrobing. You lazily kick off your sandals and lay on your back, one arm flush across your eyes to block out the light from the full moon coming in through your window.

Should've shut the blinds before leaving for class! You mentally chastise yourself. Soon those thoughts give way to a fitful sleep, with the pain from your headache leading you into a dream while the sound of falling rain offers a small comfort.

Violet flower petals fall all around you. You can smell something similar to faint soap. It's pleasant. Looking around yourself, you catch sight of someone approaching. He's tall, with raven black hair falling down around his face and in front of his eyes. You quickly realize he has no features; no eyes, no nose, no mouth. You can make out the angles of his jaw and the lines of his neck, elegant and regal. He throws his head back, as if he is looking to the heavens, in order to allow the hair to fall away from his non-existent eyes. You can't look away from his neck, where his bobbing Adam's apple keeps your attention. He finally reaches you and kneels on one knee at your feet, looking down at the ground. You see your hand reach out and caress his soft hair, following the strands to the end. Your fingers trace around his ear and jawline until your fingers rest under his jaw. You gently tip his face up to look at yours. What was once featureless is now home to bright, honey-speckled brown eyes that peer up at you through slightly wavy locks...

You awake with a jolt to find your cat on top of you. It seems he used you as a landing pad while trying to get onto the bed. You roll over, thinking about how pretty the man's eyes were. They're the same eyes you have unsuccessfully seen each time the dream comes to you prior.

As you settle back into sleep, pulling the covers around you to get comfortable, you notice that your headache is thankfully gone. You're unaware that the eyes in your dream would end up being forgotten with the rising of the sun.