Chapter 50

Chapter 50

Lola's point of view.

"Draw me."

I looked up from my phone, surprised at what Joe had just said.

"What?"

"Draw me," he repeated. "You studied art, right?"

I nodded, biting my lip, and picked up my sketchbook and pencil from the side of the sofa. Using his face as a study, I began tracing the lines I could see on to the paper.

"Stay still." I demanded as he sat in front of me, and began drawing the detailing on his eye.

"Lo?" I glanced up with one eye, the other still staring at the paper. I raised my eyebrow to tell him to continue. "Have you told your mum yet? About quitting uni?"

I gulped, returning my attention to the sketch.

"Lola you need to tell her." he said sternly, standing up from his seat and crouching in front of me.

"Look," he picked up my sketchbook and replaced it with my phone. "Just call her, tell her that you're staying with me. It'll be fine, I promise."

I nodded, walking both myself and my sketchbook out to the hall and shutting the door. I reluctantly picked up my phone and dialled her number, continuing to sketch as I waited.

"Please don't pick up." I muttered, repeatedly, tapping my foot on the wooden floorboards.

"Lola?" My mum's voice surfaced through the speaker, and I sighed loudly.

"Mum," I replied, my voice steady. "I need to tell you something."

She replied with a wavering okay.

"I quit uni, a few months ago now, and I want to stay with Joe." The line was quiet for a while.

"You mean, stay in England." she said, more like a statement than a question. I nodded, before realising that she couldn't see me.

"Yeah."

"Are you going to visit?" she said nonchalantly, but I could hear the tears behind her failing act.

"Course, I'll come over when I have the money."

"And you'll need a job," she continued, obviously trying to think of more reasons for me to return to Australia.

"I know, I'll get one."

There was a somehow loud silence, before she finally spoke up again.

"You know, I'm losing everyone Lola. I hope I haven't just lost you."

And that was the last thing before she hung up, and left me stranded, wondering if I'd done the right thing.

Joe's gently voice brought me out of my self loathing, as he opened the door and sat next to me in the stairs.

"What'd she say?" He asked, rubbing my back.

Rather than giving him a straight answer, I decided that he could tell just by the sound of my voice how the dreaded call went.

I handed him the drawing, after signing it in the corner. My voice was bland, a hint of sadness here and there, but mostly overcome with regret and depression.

"It's finished."