Chapter 34

Chapter 34

Lola's point of view.

"I don't know what to do, Cas." I sighed, leaning my head on his chest. His arm rubbed my back, pulling me closer to him.

"Neither do I." He replied, his eyes filled with sadness. Although he wasn't directly involved, our break up had affected him too. He told me that Joe hadn't been the same since I'd been out of his life. When I met him for a coffee, I could see his physical appearance had deteriorated, however apparently he'd become, like me, very depressed. Caspar visited him often at Jim and Tanya's, and they told him that he rarely came out of his room, and when he did, he'd walk off without speaking.

There was a part of me that felt sorry for him. It broke my heart to think of him that way, and the everlasting image of him, with bags under his eyes and his skin white as paper, made me want him back, so that I could make him happy again. It was then that I was reminded of what he put me through. The heartache, betrayal, denial and then plain sadness and anger.

"Should I forgive him?" I asked, looking up to where his face studied mine.

"He did something awful, Lo, terrible in fact. But you know that you made him happy. And everyone can tell you're both completely in love." I smiled, remembering the happier times. "I honestly don't know."

I got up, brushing the leaves and dust off of my jeans. The rain had started to clear up since I'd come back from Australia, and spring was returning. It also reminded me that I had to go home kin a few months. Although I'd dropped out of university due to the numerous distractions, I hadn't yet told my parents, and I wasn't looking forward to it either. It took a damn lot of chores to get them to accept I was doing an art degree, rather than law or politics.

I smiled a thank you to Caspar, hugging him as I walked through the metal gate, noticing a figure sitting isolated on the bench opposite.

To: Daddy

Hey dad! Haven't seen you for ages, mind if I come over in a bit? xx

I smiled, sending the text and slipping my phone back into my pocket, before carrying on with the walk to Alfie's.

---

"Hey dad!" I smiled, hugging him tightly.

"How are you?" He replied, leading me into the kitchen where two steaming mugs of hot chocolate stood, practically begging me to drink them both.

"Not so good," I smiled shyly, taking a big gulp of the liquid in front of me and savoring its frothy deliciousness.

---

"I knew he'd hurt you."

"What?" I said, my voice raised, spitting out a mouthful of my third hot chocolate.

"I could see it when I first met him. Oh come on Lo! You didn't think I'd honestly believe him when he said he was in love with you, did you?" I gulped, feeling entirely humiliated.

"And of course he'd go and cheat on you! I bet Courtney didn't even tempt him! You've been best friends with her for ages! You don't think she'd purposefully flirt with him, do you? You probably just misinterpreted it!"

I debated his words, finally pretending to agree, however there was still a voice in the back of my head, screaming at me for not arguing.

I walked out of the house after saying a tiresome goodbye, my head automatically nodding at everything my father said without even registering it.

Lola's dad's point of view.

To: Courtney

It worked.

From: Courtney

I'm never doing that again. I hate you and your stupid games. Do it yourself next time.

To: Courtney

Can't make any promises, love.