Chapter 9

'Sick day. Sorry.'

That's all I got this morning in a text message from her. After the explosion of passion that lasted for hours last night against the workshop wall, and then on the benches, and then on the floor, all I get today is a 3 word text message outlining that she will not be at work.

I wonder for a moment if she is ok, then my mind is distracted to whether we are ok.

Did I go too far last night?

Did I scare her?

I know I got quite passionate in the moment and possibly could have gotten a bit carried away at some points.

More than some points.

I was rough.

And harsh.

My addiction took control of me several times throughout the hours we were together, and I lost myself in those moments, controlled by the monster inside that demands more of everything when it comes to her. But it only lasted a moment, and then I was able to take control of myself again.

But now I feel guilty.

Maybe I should reply and ask if she is ok, if there is anything she needs.

Maybe I should just get back to work and forget about it all, she is probably just not feeling well today.

'Are you ok Ash?' That's it, simple and to the point. Send.

And so I go about my day continuously thinking about her and checking my phone for her reply.

Morning smoko break – no reply from her.

Lunch time – still no reply.

Afternoon tea – nothing.

By 5pm when I'm closing up the workshop and saying goodbye to my employees for the night I'm starting to get worried about her. What if something had happened? What if that call from Cooper last night was some sort of emergency?

I have her address on file, maybe I should stop in on my way home and see if she is ok.

Just as I am reaching for the employee details file something stops me.

No, I can't go visit her.

That's not what an ordinary boss would do.

I'll simply have to wait for her to respond to my message or come to work tomorrow. And if she doesn't come in tomorrow, then I'll have to try to contact her over the weekend to check on her.