Chapter 17

DK remained thoughtful while sitting in his office room. It's been a week since Meera went missing and they were still unable to find her. To avoid any further mishaps, DK had moved Mehek to his pack house and kept her close. After summoning Mehek, he waited dubiously for her arrival. "Father", Mehek addressed him anxiously and came beside him. But when she saw his saddened face, her heart fell. Although they were not sure whether Shaurya's pack is behind her mother's disappearance, Mehek feared the worst. True to his words, DK had been trying his best to protect Mehek and find Meera. He too believed that Shauyra won't stoop to a level to use a weak, elderly woman for his gain. 

Mehek became nervous When DK remained silent. His secretary spoke instead, "Mehek, we have come straight after meeting Alpha Shaurya and his Beta". Mehek was already aware of it. A meeting had been arranged at a safe place, a neutral ground where both parties could converse without danger. "Shaurya is not behind it, is he Father?", she asked eagerly. DK looked at her sadly and squeezed her palms, "I am sorry, my child. We seemed to have underestimated Alpha Shaurya". Mehek's eyes widened with shock.

"Meera Ma'am is with Crystal Falls Pack", his secretary pitched in to aid DK. "Are you sure?", Mehek still couldn't believe it. "Our spies are unable to confirm whether she is actually kept captive in their boundaries or a distant place under their control. After your escape, they have doubled security and anyone under slight suspicion is immediately captured & tried", he replied, "From what I heard, his pack is also not so happy with their Alpha's behaviour". "He is losing it Mehek. Absence of his mate is affecting him adversely. He is on edge and extremely desperate. Else the Alpha Shaurya whom I know wouldn't have committed such grave mistakes", DK explained it to her, "I am so worried about Meera. I hope they are taking care of her. Without proper food and medicines, her health will fail". Mehek was touched by her father's concern for her mother. For the first time she understood that an invisible thread of affection still bound them both. "I failed you, Mehek", DK took a deep sigh and sank into his chair.

"What does he want?", Mehek shot at her father's trusted aid. Eventhough she knew it very well, she asked again. "He wants you", secretary replied, confirming her fears. "Father, I don't want to go back to him. Please kill me before he takes me", she wept. DK was in deep torment. He wanted to save Meera but not at the cost of his daughter's life. "Mehekji", the secretary called her name softly, "Sir has tried out everything. He sought help from other packs but they all refuse to part of it. Keeping an Alpha's mate away from him, is not a desirable deed among our community. Even Nehalji's pack refused...", he left his sentence unfinished when DK growled in displeasure. "Don't blame Nehal as she is helpless. She is get to gain favour of her mate, the Alpha of Blood Moon pack. He already thinks it was a mistake to take her as his mate and Luna", DK spoke. "I hope Shaurya won't use it for his benefit and try an alliance with Blood Moon pack. He already has a grudge against Nehalji owing to his brother's death", secretary conveyed to Mehek. DK was tormented by the thought that Nehal would get hurt in this cross fire while Mehek covered her mouth to control her sobs.

"Mehek, don't be afraid my child. I will protect you. We may lose Meera or even Nehal but atleast I will be able to keep my word to you", DK was on verge of tears, "I was too late to care for Meera and our child. May be Moon Goddess is punishing me for my sins". "But Sir, it is absurd", his secretary blurted out, "Alphas Shaurya will not stop until he gets Mehek. After Meera Ma'am and Nehal, soon he will target our pack and then many will be slaughtered". "Silence", DK used his Alpha tone to control him. "Apologies my Alpha", he stood with bowed head. "Escort Mehek back to her quarters and beef up her security", he ordered his men. While taking Mehek back to his room, the secretary didn't utter a word until they reached her door, "Mehekji, I have been with Sir for long. Believe me when I tell you that I never saw him astray. But today he is truly lost and may be a bit scared too". Mehek looked at him sadly. "He loves you and Meera Ma'am. It is evident that your place is above Nehalji who is his favourite child", his words brought a bit of warmth in her heart but also sadness. "He will not agree that this we cannot win this battle. But eventually all will be destroyed. A fight with Alpha Shaurya's pack is suicide mission of us. Hope you understand", he implored her to rethink. She nodded and asked him, "What's your name?". He was bit taken aback but smiled, "I am Sanjay. Sanjay Agarwal".

Late evening of same day. "Sanjay Uncle", Mehek called him while he was preparing DK's files. He smiled at her warm greetings. He half expected Mehek's entry. "Can you please take me to Father?", she asked and he led her. "Father", she called out for DK who was drowning himself in whiskey. He was a bit embarrassed that his daughter found him like a drunkard in his study. Yet he tried to be presentable and greeted her pleasantly, "Tell me, Dear". Sanjay was about to excuse but Mehek asked him to stay. "Father, my Ma always told me to live an honest life and never harm another life. I have always tried my best to be the daughter she wanted me to be", she took a deep breath, "I am terrified to go back to Shaurya but I will not be able to live with blood of innocents in my hands". DK tried to calm her but she spoke again," Inform him that I am ready to return". 

"No Mehek, I cannot let you suffer like Nehal. I made a mistake of pushing her to a life she never wanted. I won't repeat the same. I don't want to lose you too", DK became frantic in his drunken stupor. Sanjay pitched in, "Mehek Beti, your decision shows your worth and strength. I am sure Alpha Shaurya will understand it and treat you well". Mehek gulped and tried to smile, "I am very well aware of my fate with him". Sanjay felt guilty of making Mehek go back to her tormentor. "Sir, if you may", he sought permission from DK. His Alpha was too tired to react and gave a snort. "Mehek's life shouldn't be gambled even of sake of other lives. I agree Alpha Shaurya had cornered us but we can still bargain a deal to ensure Mehek's safety". His words caught attention of DK and Mehek.

DK grabbed Mehek's hand and asked again, "Are you sure, my child?". She nodded and tried to look normal but DK knew she was far from it. Sanjay dialed a number and kept the phone in speaker phone. Mehek shivered when she heard Shaurya's voice from other side and in reflex she moved closer to her father. "Alpha Shaurya, rhis is DK", he started the conversation, "As an Alpha and fellow werewolf, I understand your need to be with your mate", DK started with preface, "But Mehek is a human who is delicate and naïve. She will not survive if I push her into hostile environment". "Cut the crap and come to the point", Shaurya snapped at DK. Mehek winced at the disrespect shown by Shaurya to her father. "I agree to handover Mehek but I have a condition. After the wedding ceremony, Mehek will still stay in our pack boundary", DK proposed. They all expected Shaurya to snap but all they could perceive was silence from his side. DK continued as Sanjay urged him to speak, "I will grant a home for both of you in our grounds. Far from pack house so that not to interfere in your personal life but close enough for our help incase Mehek needs it". Again silence from the other end until Vivaan spoke, "Do you seriously expect our Alpha to be live comfortably in your boundary?". "Until he earns Mehek's trust, I am afraid so. He and his chosen few will be allowed absolute rights to enter and exit our lands whenver they wish. Once Mehek overcomes her fear and gets comfortable in her married life, you can take her back with you", DK explained. Before anymore clarifications were made, Shaurya answered, "AGREED".