Chapter Thirty Five: Noah's POV

It has been 2 days since I called Aunt Dara. Knowing everything I know about Griffin, it was awkward talking to Dara at all. But, it felt only fair to let her know about Reagan. Her enthusiasm wasn't very convincing, although she claimed she would hurry to come down here from Missouri.

2 days after our short conversation, we were still earnestly waiting for the flaky woman to show up. Tyson has already claimed, multiple times, that he thinks she won't show up at all. I couldn't help but agree with his cynical point of view. As much as I wanted to, I just couldn't put my faith in Dara.

Dara was my mother's sister, but she was never a very good one. My mom was older than Dara by 13 years, and Dara always felt like my mother over shadowed her. My mother was the beautiful, smart sister.

No one ever seemed to notice Dara because they were all too focused on my mother's accomplishments. Dara got married young (to Griffin) to try to catch people's eye. I don't think she cared if people saw her in a negative way or not. She just wanted to be seen.

Because my mother was so loved, Dara grew up hating her. My mother was always kind to Dara, but Dara was never interested in the sister bond my mother craved.

Dara hardly visited us after my mother died. Whether out of pride or guilt, I'm not sure. I had always been close with Dara, but I didn't miss her a bit. I knew, deep in my heart, that Dara was just mean spirited. She didn't like us, and that was clear even when my mother was alive.

She only ever took an interest to me, as if she could recruit me and persuade me to dislike my mother and Griffin. I'm honestly not sure why my mother even continued to let her see us when we were kids.

Reagan is the only one who seems genuinely disappointed that Dara hasn't shown up yet. Probably because she wanted to give Dara a chance despite the horror stories she's heard. She's like my mother in that way.

Griffin still didn't know that we had contacted Dara, and I wasn't sure if we should tell him or not. If we do, then at least he'll be prepared for Dara to come. But if we don't tell Griffin, then would he ever forgive us for putting that kind of pressure on him?

"Still think she's gonna come, huh?" Tyson sounded skeptical. I sighed, exhausted with this whole situation. Griffin was at the police station right now with Reagan, testifying against Joey. The judge wasn't gonna force Reagan to be in the same room as Joey, so they testified separately.

Tyson and I had wanted to go, but the judge insisted only one of us go, and we thought Griffin, being the oldest, would be the best choice.

"You know, Tyson, you could have a little compassion. Maybe Dara has changed since mom died. I know we have. It's only fair to treat her with respect." I knew Tyson didn't care. My words went in one ear and out the next.

"I couldn't give a rat's ass if that old hag has changed. She's cruel, Noah, and you know that. Look what she did to Griffin. Can you really forgive her after everything she's done?" Tyson narrowed his eyes at me, unconvinced.

"I'm not saying this is easy, and you don't have to be happy about it, but think about what mom would want. She would want us to be there for Dara, and willingly let her into our family." So, it wasn't exactly my own longing that led me to invite Dara over.

I only invited Dara over because my mother would have. I had pictured my mother's loving, pleading, green eyes, and I had cracked. My mother's influence would always have an edge on me, as long as I blamed myself for her death.

"No, mom would've wanted us to be smart. And Noah, I'm just not so sure that this is the smartest choice right now. What are we supposed to tell Griffin when his ex wife shows up at our doorstep? What are we supposed to tell Dara when she asks what he's doing here?"