Chapter Nine: Reagan's POV

I snuck into my window the night after my talk with Cassie and Aria, the Timber's twin girls. They had shown me an article that leads me to believe I have a family searching for me somewhere. I was determined to find said family. I knew their names and where they had lived at the time of my birth.

I planned to hitch a ride to Oklahoma tonight, and be there in a few hours. I didn't have a plan after that, but I refused to give up the chance to have a real family.

I had considered asking Hayley for a ride, but I didn't want to give Joey and Sarah any reason to believe Hayley had anything to do with my escape.

Which meant I couldn't say goodbye, either.

It killed me, knowing I was leaving without saying goodbye to my best friend, but I knew I would see her again.

I packed a bag with all my belongings, not that I had very many. I threw it over my shoulder and snuck out without causing any suspicion. It was around 1 AM when I left the house.

I ran until I reached the highway, then I walked for a few hours. I wasn't too scared about walking alone at night, but the wind was picking up and I feared I would be caught in a storm. That wouldn't be good.

I walked until I felt like I would collapse. I didn't know who I could trust to pick me up, if anyone, because I had never hitch-hiked before.

Finally, a young woman passed by. She had a truck, a red one, that seemed clean enough. The woman seemed nice, her eyes were a clear blue color and her hair came down in blonde waves. She stopped for me and I clambered into her truck. Compared to her, I was a mess. My black hair was tangled and pushed into a ponytail, my green eyes were droopy from exhaustion. My clothes were dirty and loose.

Not to mention my black eye and busted lip, which I hadn't bothered to cover up. The woman just smiled at me though as she continued driving.

"Where are you headed, Sweetheart?" Her voice was sweet and soft. I felt like I could trust her.

"Oklahoma City, ma'am." My voice, on the other hand, was quiet and reserved and scared. I hate how pathetic I sounded, but it wasn't my fault how untrustworthy I was. The only person in the world that I knew I could trust, was Hayley.

"Okay, I can get you to the bus station and buy you a ticket to Oklahoma City. But then you're on your own." Our ride to the bus station was quiet, with some weird country music playing in her red truck.

I fiddled with my fingers most of the time. She pulled into some parking lot and we walked to the bus station. She bought me a ticket after arguing with the tired man at the register. The blonde woman handed me the ticket and smiled at me.

"Thank you, ma'am." She grinned before walking away. I made my way on to the bus and sat in a seat by myself. There were only 4 other people on the bus. An elderly woman with only a large purse, a teenager around my age who looked like he was on drugs, a professional looking business man in his thirties with a kid sleeping by his side.

The ride was only about an hour. I spent the time looking out the window and thinking about what Joey and Sarah would do when they found me gone. The ride was mostly bumpy, which I didn't mind too much. I was tired, but too scared about what would happen if I fall asleep. The bumps helped keep me awake.

I fell in line behind the other riders when the bus stopped. The teenage boy was around my age, maybe a year or two older. He turned around and I saw his long black hair fall into his brown eyes. He had tan skin and his around his eyes were red. He looked high, but his voice was steady when he spoke.

"Hey. You alone?" I didn't know how to answer. He was smirking, but in a teasing way. My green eyes stared into his brown ones for a moment, debating what to say. If I say I'm alone, would he try to pull something? I didn't want to lie, though, because that's never been the way I do things.