Fairy Lights

Pairing: Josh Dun x Reader

Word Count: 1141

Warnings: Angst

Author's Note: I hope you enjoy this one! :)

*     *     *

Fairy lights twinkled as you and Josh danced around the living room, listening to some random Spotify recommended playlist of romantic music. His chocolate eyes were practically shining in the dim light as they looked into yours, the crinkles that you had quickly grown to love just visible at their edges. It was impossible for you to not fall more in love with him.

The song that had been playing faded out and Josh slowly brought your dancing to a stop. You kept your arms on his shoulders, hoping that he would at least dance with you for one more song, but when his hands fell away from your hips you knew the battle was lost.

"As much as I'd love to keep dancing, do you mind if we sit and talk for a bit?" he asked. It was the first thing he had said for quite some time, aside from a few compliments and "I love you"s, and his tone of voice put an uneasy feeling in your stomach.

"Sure. I'm just going to go grab a drink real quick, ok?"

"Can you grab me one?"

"Yeah."

Once you had rounded the corner and were out of Josh's sight, you took a moment to relax and take deep breaths. Josh hadn't said anything about having a serious conversation, so it was very possible that you were overthinking the situation. Maybe he just wanted to talk about life for awhile, it wasn't an uncommon thing for the two of you to do.

Once you felt a little more composed, you continued your walk to the kitchen and grabbed the drinks from the fridge. Josh had changed the music to something a little more suitable to your tastes by the time that you returned. He smiled at you as you handed him his drink and joined him on the couch. Jim, not wanting to miss out on the party, joined the two of you and made himself comfortable right between your laps.

"So much for cuddling with you," Josh sighed as he popped his can open.

"There will be time for that later," you said, reaching out to rub at Josh's arm. "For now, you can cuddle with Jim."

He smiled and rubbed at Jim's belly, whose tail thumped repetitively against your thigh. You couldn't even be mad, the happy look on Jim's face was too adorable.

"So, what did you want to talk about?" you asked, letting your finger run idly around the edge of your can.

Josh shifted. "It's something kind of serious, actually. I've been meaning to talk to you about it for awhile."

"Ok."

"It's nothing bad, Y/N. I promise." He held a hand out to you, silently asking you to hold it. You happily laced your fingers between his and lightly squeezed his hand. "It's just... been on my mind recently and rather than letting it eat me up inside, I wanted to get your opinion on it."

"What's going on?"

"Do you ever think it's weird that we've been dating for a year but have never gone on a date outside the house? Or that only our closest family and friends know about our relationship? I mean, that's not normal."

You shrugged, "No, it's not, but I told you from the start that I was willing to trust your judgement, Josh. If you think that we need to keep our relationship on the downlow still, then that's what we'll do. A public relationship can be a lot of added pressure when you're at the level of fame that you are and I've never minded our inside dates. We always manage to make them fun, I think."

Josh nodded slowly, but he didn't look entirely convinced of what you were saying. He took a couple deep breaths before he asked his next question.

"So you, um, you've never thought that I did it because I didn't love you or anything?"

"You've never given me any reason to believe that's why you were hiding our relationship. Are you afraid that's what I think?"

"Sometimes. And I know that's not the truth because I love you. I love you so much that it scares me, actually, but I can't shake the feeling that I'm not showing that to you."

"Josh," you sighed. "Jim, down."

Jim slowly raised his head to look at you, then hopped down from the couch. Now that the space between you and Josh was free, you scooted closer so that you could snuggle up next to him. He rested his free hand just above your knee and you used yours to brush some of his hair back from his face.

"Josh, you've never given me a single reason to doubt that you love me. I mean, look at all this." You gestured at the fairy lights that were hung around the room, strung over any available piece of furniture that Josh had been able to find. A number of other decorations were around the room, including one of your favorite candles crackling on the coffee table, a vase of your favorite flowers, and the drinks Josh had gone out of his way to get for you. "Then you add in the way that you treat me... I've never felt as loved and wanted as when I'm around you. I know the decision to keep our relationship secret is a difficult one, but in the end I know it's a choice you're making because of how much you love me, not the other way around."

"You really think that?"

"Of course I think that. It's obvious."

Josh smiled and planted a kiss on your lips. You caught his face in your hand and held him close, deepening the kiss. The two of you were only interrupted when Jim jumped back up on the couch and planted himself on Josh's lap.

"I think someone is jealous," Josh laughed, scratching at Jim's ears.

"Who wouldn't be?"

Josh kissed you one more time before standing up and pulling you back into the middle of the living room. He took a second to get the romantic music going again before you started to sway around the room in time to the music. Jim tried to join in by circling around your legs, but that only led to you and Josh nearly crashing to the ground.

"See? Where else would we get to have fun like this?" you laughed. Josh had just caught you after you had tripped on Jim yet again and nearly fell straight into the coffee table.

"One day we'll go to a wedding or something and we can properly dance without a dog trying to knock us over."

"I don't know, I think I'm perfectly happy right where I am."

"Yeah?" Josh raised an eyebrow at you.

You smiled and leaned into his chest. "Yeah."