Distance

"What do you want for breakfast?" Derik asked with his face close to mine.

Trying to keep my distance isn't working, physically at least. Derik has been glued to my side since I left. So I'm keeping away emotionally, maybe if I can put some distance between us he'll be less likely to get hurt.

I can't let the same thing happen to Derik.

I wanted to keep away physically too but Derik doesn't seem very willing to let me go. Even if I am just trying to keep him safe.

"Fall, what's wrong?" Derik asked softly.

"Nothing, don't worry about it." I responded curtly.

"You can talk to me you know?"

"I know," I didn't soften my voice just keeping it hard and uncaring. It hurts to treat him like this but maybe he'll give up. God I hope he gives up soon I feel like an asshole.

Maybe I can make sure he never gets hurt like Rosie did.

That's all I want. It had hurt so much to see Rosie bruised and battered and cut just because she'd been willing to be my friend.

But Derik was different, he looks at me in a way that makes me feel special and he'd seen the worst of me without seeing me as less for it. I'd give him anything.

Keeping him safe is the least I can do for him.

"Let's go get breakfast," I said standing quickly.

"Right..." He huffed and stood up walking to the dining room.

Slightly put off that he didn't take me with him I followed behind him. That hurt more than I expected, especially considering this is exactly what I wanted.

Emotions suck.

"What would you like Miss?" Startled I looked up at a slave girl holding a notepad. She looked rushed but my mind was still occupied by the fact that she'd called me Miss. Legally I'm above her, that's so weird.

"Some fruit will be fine, why do you look so busy?" I asked curiously.

"The kitchen is still adjusting to the new guards. It won't affect our service, Miss."

I nodded numbly and waited while she took Derik's order before talking.

"New guards?" I asked quietly.

"Yeah, I thought it might make you feel better if guards were put around all the people you care about." Derik mumbled.

"Thank you," I whispered sincerely. Now I just have to figure out how to get a powerful, proud vampire lord to accept a bodyguard or two. Trying to convince a vampire they need protection is no easy task.

"Yeah," why does he seem so embarrassed about it. It was actually a really sweet thing to do.

Maybe if he's protected I don't have to keep away from him. God knows I don't want to.

I'm not sure anyone would want to after getting to know him.

True to her word the slave came back with a bowl of fruit and waffles for Derik in five short minutes. I sipped on my water and poked at the sweet fruit in front of me.

A loud knock was at the door and I stared in confusion at it. Instinctually I knew whoever was behind it was a hybrid. Which I assumed would make me feel a sense of kinship, I was wrong.

Probably because of what I need to protect here. They were a threat. And I growl possessively while Derik gives me an unnerved look.

"Fall please don't growl at the first hybrid." Those words did not help. A hybrid, not to mention a older hybrid, is a huge threat in multiple ways.