we weren't meant to fight alone

I read a really good thing, explaining why Nightmare doesn't straight up fight. He and Dream were created to fight with a partner, fighting alone feels like fighting without an arm. So I created an unspecified situation that forced them to work together, and everyone gets to marvel at how two good fighters become amazing when they fight together, instead of against each other.

Nightmare growled as he faced the threat. He glanced back at his team, his boys. They were standing a few feet away from the star sanses, staring at the threat, trying to keep the fear off their faces. Nightmare sighed and turned to Dream.

"We will agree to a temporary alliance, until this threat is destroyed." He said with a snarl.

Dream nodded, a determined look on his face. Nightmare turned toward his team.

"Get ready to fight. The star sanses are our temporary alliance, do not attack them."

The gang nodded and dropped into fighting positions, guarding each other. Dream looked up at Nightmare, a deep longing in his SOUL.

"Partner?" Nightmare sighed and nodded.

"I can give you a vantage point if you can shoot while moving."

Dream smiled and nodded. Nightmare lifted him up with a tentacle. It curled around Dream's waist, holding him still, then curled to form a small rest for his feet. Dream anchored his feet on the place Nightmare made for him. He summoned his bow and prepared to shoot.

Ink stared up at the two. He felt as though he was watching something sacred. In a way he was, the rejoining of two separated halves. Blue looked up at them with pride. At least one good thing came out of this mess.

Nightmare and Dream didn't notice how the others stared at them. They functioned as a single person, sending thoughts back and forth without speaking with tiny pulses of magic. They both ignored how right it felt to fight together once more.

Together, they tore through the enemies. Nightmare fought viciously, taking on multiple opponents at a time. Dream sniped further off enemies and protected Nightmare's back so that he could focus on the main problems. The other fought all around them.

With the two groups working together, it was no surprise who won the fight. Once the fight was over, Nightmare let Dream down and turned to leave. Dream hugged him from behind, stopping him from leaving.

"Thank you for helping us." He whispered.

Nightmare scoffed and rolled his eyes, "what did you expect me to do, just let you get yourself killed and kill me in the process? I've got a lot more I plan to do before we dust, thank you very much."

Dream laughed into Nightmare's jacket, "yeah, yeah, I'll see you on the battle field next week."

Nightmare cackled, "if you wait until next week you are going to find a few AUs have disappeared from your control."

He pushed Dream away and hoped through a portal before Dream could respond. His gang followed behind him, all grinning widely.

Word count: 443