Chapter Thirty-Three

Hedy's father, Norman, had been first across the small ramp.

Reeve Gauzier, the farrier, and company, had puzzled for a few minutes across the moat from the main gate where the draw-bridge was raised.

The old reeve could not understand why there were no guards in the gate-house or on the front towers.

By the time they joined Norman, the strong carpenter had smashed his way into the first chamber and was chopping furiously at the wedged posts nailed to the door of the second chamber.

"So, the girl spoke truly," Reeve Gauzier admitted. The famed statement of Baron Chatelain flew through his head: Always give the benefit of the doubt. He had given the child very little, except to come to prove her wrong. He nodded to his waiting servant and the man flew off to ring the village bell.

The reeve watched as growing numbers of village men chopped and pried at the door. Hedy and Jane joined those who stood watching and waiting.

More villagers, armed with picks and axes began arriving, the word having flown quickly around Chanoine before the bell tolled.

The reeve's eyes searched the crowd of onlookers, thinking of the youngest Chatelain child, wondering where she was now.

The moment they were free, the men congregated around Felix who sent them, together with Louis, Marcus and Luke, to fetch horses.

The farrier reported they had been driven out to wander in the back meadows.

"Don't go riding off without assembling here first! —In the courtyard— as quickly as you can! Saddled up and ready!" Felix shouted above the crowd. "We must plan our every move!"

Elissa shook his arm, saying, "It's Jobyna —she's gone. Hedy said she rode the old gray mare and went south."

Elissa was jostled and shoved as the released prisoners pushed past, staring around as though they had never seen the manor house before. Ellie, white-faced clung to her mother's arm, averting her eyes from the remains of their beloved dogs.

Mavis hadn't stopped crying and screaming, having imagined, at first, that someone would set fire to the woodshed and incinerate them all. During the 'break in' her screams had risen in pitch as she feared the walls would fall in on her. Now she was free, her wails continued as she sat on the scullery steps. Her husband, David, had given up trying to comfort her.

Boone wondered if some of this servant woman's wild imagination had affected Jobyna's impressive mind. Mavis was verbalizing the type of horror the child suffered in her nightmares.

Felix gave a half laugh and said, "Miss Jobyna won't get far on that old nag! Don't worry, some of my men will collect her before she goes far. I'll have her escorted home." He strode off around to the front courtyard, speaking to himself out loud, verbalizing the obvious, "We're short-handed. We won't take time to write, I'll send word by mouth. We need several companies. I fear they have an advantageous start. We'll have to move quickly to catch up ..."

He turned to Elissa again, knowing she followed him, "The best you can do Baroness, is to keep the home fires burning."

He looked down at Ellie and spoke encouragingly, "Miss Elissa, you must help your mother and the staff prepare for extras. I shouldn't be surprised if the king himself comes." He turned his words inwards, "It's a long time since we've had treachery amongst the knights." Looking again into the mother's eyes, he said quietly, "Not since Dagan. The king will be furious!"

While men donned armor and weapons, horses were saddled.

It was discovered that quite a number of horses were missing.