Chapter Eight

Elissa hurried the children off to change before they assembled to walk together to the village square in Chanoine where Brother Theon was to present his message to the villagers.

With meticulous care, the mother brushed Jobyna's long copper-brown curls. Sweeping the mass together, she held it in one hand and prepared to tie a satin ribbon to secure the bulk close to her daughter's head. With a twist and a wriggle, Jobyna caused the silky bundle to pull from her mother's hand.

After two more attempts, Elissa ordered her daughter to turn around, stand still and not be so disobedient. When Jobyna folded her arms and backed away, Elissa shook the hairbrush at her, shouting, "You naughty, bad child!"

Jobyna's green eyes filled with tears. Turning, she and she wriggled free ran out into the hall, colliding with her father. Gathering the struggling child in his arms, he returned her to Elissa. This time, he held her, firmly, whilst Elissa fixed the ribbon. Tears rolled down Jobyna's cheeks and her shoulders heaved heart-rending sobs.

"Come with me," Louis commanded gruffly, holding her hand firmly to prevent her running off. Together they entered his office and he shut the door. "Tell me, now what the fuss is all about," he demanded. He watched his small daughter bow her head and twist her fingers together. It reminded him so much of his wife when she was younger.

"I can't," she said.

"Why don't you like a ribbon in your hair?" He waited, but there was no response. "Is it because it's green?" He strode across the room, thinking about Theon's words, "You need the wisdom of Solomon to bring up children today, and the patience of Job."

Turning, he asked gently, "There's something else, Jobyna, isn't there? Someone's been unkind to you, haven't they?"

Silence.

The father asked, "What do they call you?" He waited, knowing by the way she resumed sobbing that he guessed correctly. "Tell me," he urged, speaking gently, adding, "help me to understand..."

"I can't tell you." Jobyna looked up at her father. She wiped her watering eyes and bowed her head again. Speaking to the floor, she disclosed, "It's hor'bull. And ... if ... I tell you ... or anyone ... I'll have ... my tongue ... cut out."

"Oh! It's that bad! Is it Louis?" He watched her shake her head. "Marcus?" Again a negative. "Luke?" Louis was surprised to see a reluctant nod. He scooped the small frame up and sat her on his knee. "Jobyna, my daughter; I've never told you, have I?"

"What, Papa?"

"I love you very much, more that you know..." Louis took her small face between his large hands and placed a kiss on her forehead.

Tears rolled down Jobyna's cheeks as she said, "No. You haven't ... told me before ... but you haven't ... always ... loved me ... have you Papa?"

The father blinked hard to stem unbidden tears in his brown eyes. He spoke seriously, earnestly, "Yes. I have, Jobyna, I've always loved you, but I realize now how much, and each hour I'm with you I love you more than I ever thought possible. I want the very best for you, but I haven't given you anything before."

"No, Papa." Jobyna leaned her head against his chest. Her tears ceased. "But you gave me Rainbow," she said, as though to reminded him.

"I want to give you much more than a horse, I want to give you gifts that will never leave you; a heritage that will be with you no matter what the circumstances. It's hard for you to understand, but you'll have to trust me, that I want the best for you, and for Luke."

"I do ... trust ... you ... Papa."

Louis asked the question, which had been concerning him, "What did Luke say about your ribbon?"