Chapter Eleven

Louis and Marcus were proud as peacocks to be announced for the third evening meal in a row to the dining hall in Kings Castle at Frencberg, as: "Master Louis Chatelain Junior, and Master Marcus Chatelain; Cousins of His Royal Majesty, King Leopold Friedrich."

The three days they stayed in Frencberg were filled with excitement and intrigue. Both brothers knew the king himself was not interested in the evangelist's sermons but he wanted the messages for his subjects.

Theon also knew this but was not discouraged. He thanked King Leopold for the privilege of being permitted to bring God's message to Frencolia and he entreated the king to support those who wished to follow God's Word.

From Frencberg, the cavalcade moved to Westbrook, then to Mayhew.

After two days in Ahren, over a week was spent in Samdene, the duration of the worst of the storm.

All districts so far had received the evangelist with great joy and support for his message. Many Frencolians were converted to faith in the God of the Bible.

At Leroy, the boys were introduced to a senior knight, the lord of Leroy Castle; Sir Dorai. He asked questions and showed interest in their answers.

Louis Junior discussed with Marcus how he could tell that Sir Dorai showed himself to be more interested in them, the Chatelain sons, than he was in the message of the Evangelist.

Sir Dorai, not realizing LJ could overhear, said, with disdain seeping from his noble voice, "Such religion is for people who have weak minds. I am not one of them!"

The last town where the evangelist preached was Valdemar, the furthermost northern settlement of the country. Unveiled ridicule was showered on Brother Theon.

A young man with an overpowering authoritarian attitude was lord of Valdemar Castle and the boys were told that his mother, Alice, was first cousin to King Leopold, on the king's mother's side.

The dowager Queen Catherine and Alice were sisters.

The master of Valdemar was Elliad John Pruwitt. His father had recently died, and he inherited the title, the castle and lands gained by his father upon marrying Alice.

Elliad's very appearance made Marcus shudder. Evil seemed to emanate from him and it was as though he could read peoples minds. His cobalt blue eyes pierced like shards of a broken mirror into the minds of those who dared gaze therein.

"Is he just called 'Elliad?' Isn't he a baron, or a sir, or something?" Louis Junior asked of a lad he had befriended, one of Theon's followers. When he received a negative, Louis said, "I must ask Father about him. If he's not a knight at his age, he cannot be a true Frencolian."

"He must be! His mother was Frencolian," Marcus argued. "We're not blood-related to Alice, but she's kindred to the king, through Queen Catherine, the king's mother."

The discussion was abandoned when Theon entered the great hall at Valdemar Castle, where Elliad had requested the preacher come and bring his message to the higher subjects of the town. The reeve was present, with the officials and clerks of Valdemar. Knights, captains and some soldiers were present. As Louis and Marcus perused the faces, they both had the same feeling.

"There's something about these people, here; something different," Marcus said. "Don't you feel it, LJ?"

"Yes," Louis answered, "I hope it doesn't mean not trouble."

Theon opened his preaching by announcing, "My message is based upon God's Word, the Gospel Book which is also known as 'The Bible'. It is God's message to mankind, the message God wants you to hear today in Valdemar."