Chapter Nine

Jobyna wished cantankerously that she had been allowed to stay behind with Luke who had been deposited at Shepherd John's cottage.

Baron Chatelain had conveyed him there himself, with the command that he learn all he could about being a 'good shepherd' and he would discuss his lesson when the family returned.

Staring down the dusty trail ahead, Jobyna looked jealously at Ellie who rode with her father. Their mother, looking as fresh as a spring flower, rode the old horse, Blue. Unlike the two girls, Elissa's riding dress was spotless and Jobyna knew that the ample bonnet her mother wore had helped keep her cooler. Jobyna actively refused to wear her hat and her head now ached from the hot sun. Her nose and forehead were burnt and sore.

Every few minutes, Jobyna complained about some new ache or pain, her back, her head, her arm.

All in the cavalcade knew her protests were because her father had commanded, "You WILL ride sidesaddle like a lady, Jobyna Chatelain!"

An old leather sidesaddle had been hauled out and attached to the mare. Jobyna found the position most uncomfortable and muttered discontentedly, "I should have been Joe, not Jobyna, and then I could ride like you, Papa!"

"God made you a girl," Elissa said, meeting her husband's eyes. She was pleased to see Louis smile. The baroness felt strange to be able to talk about the God she believed in without a reprimand from her spouse. Looking back at the young child, she added, "You're Jobyna, not Joe; for a very special reason, I'm sure."

Both parents stared in concern at the small, defiant child as she said, "Yes, I is a girl, and I is going to marry John and be a shepherd's wife." She laughed merrily into her father's eyes, "Your gran'chillen will be shepherd ones!"

The next moment, she was whining about her back again and Elissa began to feel concerned, because her daughter had never been a good actress.

Jobyna exclaimed loudly in pleasure when she spied a sign-post ahead. "What does it say, Sabin?" Forgetting her aches and pains, she spurred the mare into a canter, followed closely by the faithful servant.

"To Litton." Sabin pulled his horse up beside the sign-post. He had been here before. Sabin could not read, but knew the village was ahead.

The baron reigned his horse in beside the gray mare. "You can't read that, Jobyna?" He watched his daughter shake her head indecisively.

"She can't read anything, Papa. When mother gives us lessons, she just day dreams or falls asleep. 'Jobyna's a law to herself.'" Ellie laughed as her musical voice finished this accusation, quoting the words that the whole household mimicked, "Jobyna's law runs the Chatelain household."

Sir Louis turned to peruse the impudent face of his younger daughter. To his surprise, her unmasked stare of presumption was not rebellion, but compliance.

Jobyna exclaimed, "But it's driff'rent now! It's God's law wot is going to run our house, isn't it Papa?"

He could only nod his agreement.

At Litton, they were all pleased to be able to bathe and change. The large wooden bathtub was filled with water, carried by the servants, while the baroness of Litton fussed over her guests. A woman rarely traveled in Frencolia, especially unmarried girls and the hostess was pleased to introduce her children to Ellie and Jobyna. The three female guests all used the same water, and the two girls bathed together.

The daughter of the household, Anita-Marie, washed Jobyna's back for her, using a soft thick piece of soapy lambskin.

The young girl rattled on merrily, "I'm almost as big as you, Jobyna, but I'm only five. All my friends call me 'Nita.' What do they call you? Beena or Jo? You must have a pet name?"