Chapter Fourteen

Elissa could not find Louis Junior.

It was with sorrow in her mother's heart and tears blurring her green-hazel eyes that she took the note her son had left by his bedside, to her husband.

Louis wasn't surprised and told her he felt confident that LJ's absence would be short. He read the note aloud for the four children to hear.

"Dear Father, I didn't need to wait until tomorrow to know my mind. It's better for me to go now as I couldn't bear to see Mother cry. I'm traveling to Frencberg with a company from Bruis who are buying from the market there. They've been in Chanoine purchasing wool. Maybe I'll find myself, in the capital, with the courage I need to face life's challenges. I'll remember all your words. Your loving son, Louis Chatelain."

Placing the note on a shelf, the father braced himself and turned to the rest of his family. "We'll all pray for Louis, that God will give him safety in travel and that he'll not only return home, but come to know God. Only in faith will Louis truly find himself. I searched all my life, but in the wrong places; like Louis, I felt the answer was within myself. It's only when one receives Christ that he truly finds his purpose for living."

With a resigned sigh, Louis continued, "We must keep our minds on this meeting now, together. There's much to be said and so little time to say it all."

To the children's disconcert, the father laid down rules, with the promise of discipline when the rules were broken.

Ellie's face showed alarm and disagreement. One did not 'chasten' the children of a baron; such 'discipline' —or punishment— was for disobedient slaves or criminals.

The baron continued laying down the new 'law'.

"Marcus, like your brothers and sisters, you've been disobedient. When you're asked to do something, anything, you'll be asked just once! You will not sit, with your head in a book, when your mother says that it is bath-time, or bed-time.

"Young Elissa, you sulk too much!"

He turned to include them all, "There'll be no bad attitudes or sulking, especially not after discipline has been given. To sulk as a child is to become a sulking adult, and a sulky adult is impossible!"

He stared at his wife, who lowered her eyes, knowing he referred to her. She felt heat flood her cheeks and would have become angry had she not admitted within her mind that he was right.

"Luke, you mutter and complain constantly. You must change. To believe is not to become perfect. We'll all make mistakes. You won't be disciplined for making a mistake. You'll be disciplined for deliberate disobedience and rebellion!"

He turned to the youngest.

"Jobyna, you'll find it difficult to change. You must think before you act or speak. You won't slide down banisters, you'll walk down the stairs. You'll be on time to all meals."

He included them all, "There'll be no jumping off the wall into the moat,"

Looking back to Jobyna, "There'll be no running away from home," At Luke, "No name-calling," At Ellie, "Or back-answering."

He turned his eyes towards his wife, "We'll deal with other areas we wish to change as we discover them. For each new offence, there'll one warning. Add to these now, Mother, if you can think of some areas..."

Elissa smiled with pleasure. She couldn't remember Louis referring to her as 'Mother' before. 'Wife' and 'Elissa' often, but not 'Mother'.

She pulled her thoughts together and, sweeping her eyes across them all, said, "One of the worst sins is one that Father has already mentioned; that of disobedience."