Chapter Seventeen

The week passed painfully for Jobyna who hovered between maintaining her rejection, remaining depressed, and allowing her father to comfort and encourage her as an important, accepted part of his family.

Another rest day arrived. Being second to youngest, meant it was Luke's turn to have the undivided attention of his father.

Jobyna was emotionally moved, and honored when her most cherished brother requested her to go with them to Spy Castle and that they take food and juice for a picnic.

Jobyna recovered in heart from her rejection by John due to Luke's acceptance of her; allowing his little sister to encroach on his special time with their father.

Louis was pleased with the concern Luke showed toward his sister. The father had confided with Jobyna's siblings that Jobyna was not entirely 'sulking' but in her own way, she was, truly, 'broken-hearted.'

Disappointments and hurts in both children and adults took time to heal. He pointed out that Jobyna had improved a little each day.

The three enjoyed the picnic in the tree, then they slept.

The baron had to wake the children when it was time to return to the manor house. He had enjoyed a tranquil hour to sit and think.

His thoughts and prayers had been in Frencberg with his eldest son, and he wondered how the lad was faring. Having dispatched a message to Kings Castle, he had entreated Leopold: "Discipline Louis as your own and allow him no liberties that you do not allow your own children."

He had resigned himself that he would not see his heir for at least a month, and therefore was greatly surprised to hear Jobyna's announcement the moment she stirred from her sleep on the platform at Spy Castle.

Pointing to the distant road leading into Chanoine, she exclaimed, "Look, Papa. It's LJ, it's him. It is! He's walking. Where's his horse? Oh, poor Louis, why did he have to walk all the way, by his own?" Her personal hurts were forgotten in her concern for her brother.

The baron would have liked to be at the Manor to welcome his son home, but it took more than fifteen minutes to walk back to the house.

By this time, Louis Junior, unannounced, was sitting in the servant's dining chamber, eating ravenously and drinking thirstily.

Sending the inquisitive siblings away with all others, the baron sat at the table, opposite his son. He poured himself some of the cool, honeyed lemon juice and sipped it slowly, waiting for the lad to finish his meal.

"I ... I ... lost my horse," the boy said, not looking at his father. Swallowing, LJ knew that the lump in his throat and chest was pride. It was a large lump.

The baron frowned and narrowed his eyes, waiting. When LJ was silent, the father sighed and asked, "How?"

"I ... I got talked into it ... I gambled ... him away ... and ... and ... all my clothes. They took everything except what I wear."

"What did Cousin Leopold say about that?" The father asked, sipping his juice again.

"He didn't care," LJ said, miserably, then he spoke with disdain, "What disturbed me most, Father ... that man was there ... Elliad, from Valdemar ..."

The baron was disinterested. He wanted to know about his son. However, the father broke the silence by saying, "Yes, Elliad often comes to the Castle."

"No, I mean, this time he's moved in. His carts and stuff arrived yesterday. He's got your apartment and the one that was mother's when she was there."

LJ sat upright at the disconcert on his father's face, then continued, "And ... he, Elliad, he sold your ... your thing ... the invention ... to some foreigner."