Her Sacrifice

Er Li was still fast asleep when they returned so rather than linger in his chamber which she still unfamiliar with and not wanting to risk waking him, Ye Hua took her for a walk about Xiwu Palace gardens which remained hidden behind high walls covered in jasime flowers, a beautiful lightly scented vine that spread its tiny white flowers across the full length and height of its surroundings.  And in among the roses of every hue, bluebells and orchids appeared intermittently among the small marble statues of Heavenly beasts and water features that dotted the peaceful grounds that Ye Hua rarely visited.

Hand in hand, they strolled the vast grounds without saying anything for a while, but knowing he had something on his mind, and was also needing to speak her own mind but unsure of how exactly to say it without offending him, that awkwardness once again began to creep up on them, even though their surroundings was one the prettiest she had ever seen.

But they did need to talk, so stopping to rest inside of the many small pavillions that was softly cushioned in blue and green velvet, he sat her down at one side that still gave her a full view of the lovely gardens while also giving him a clear view of her having seated himself at the otherside of the small table.

"Qian Qian.  Is everything alright?" he began softly.

Sighing softly, her eyes remained on the garden as she quickly formulated a response, one she hoped would clear all the uncertainties that still remained between them, because the look in his eyes said he also had things to say.

"Ye Hua.  I know your family means a great deal to you and your loyalties to them are understandable, after all, they are the ones who raised you.  But what happened, and their inability to fight for you, is something I find very hard to stomach." she began and though the tears were being kept at bay, the slight quiver in her voice had Ye Hua reaching out to take hold of her hand.

"For twenty five thousand years, you have filled my every thought, yet in all that time, not one of them offered me the opportunity to visit your coffin, in fact not one of them offered me any commiserations at all.  The only thing they cared about was getting their hands on Er Li, which I absolutely refused.  They just don't see us as a married couple, if anything they saw me as the woman who sent you to your death." she whispered softly and trying her best not to cry before she got it all out.

"And despite the great efforts we all put into bringing you back, to be literally forced out the moment I entered the Palace grounds, is too much Ye Hua.  They are all hypoctrites, none of them gave you a single thought the moment judgement was passed, none of them stood up for you and none of them see us as a couple, otherwise I would not have been treated so unfairly, especially considering the efforts I too underwent to give you back to them." she said as the tears began to fall.

"Ye Hua, I know you love them, and I know you want to return to your place here, but it is not my home, they are not my family." she said now too emotional to say anymore.

And so for a moment Ye Hua dwelt on her words and he fully understood that stance she had taken, after all, had it been the otherway around, he would no doubt be feeling the same thing.  But he wasn't so the compassion died quickly as he thought of those he cared about and his duties that he now had to pick back up again.

"As the Crown Prince of the Celestial Heavens, my duties are to my people and those that are aligned with us Qian Qian.  I am sorry that you were forced to live such a long time without me, but we are being given a second chance at getting it right, together we will lead the Celestial Heavens forward and f course, as my Empress..."

"A second chance?" she asked incredulously because to her, it was sounding as if he was also placing the blame for what happened on her.

"Ye Hua.   What second chance is it that I deserve when I did nothing wrong?  Are you suggesting that I just give up everything?  For twenty five thousand years, I was forced to raise my son alone while I clamped my mouth shut as the world spread every manner of rumour and vile gossip about me.  But to then fight those beasts for the fungal grass and barely make it out of there alive, just so I could give you back your life, give my son his father and give you back to your...... family!" she spat..... "just for a second chance is asking too much!  Especially when you expect me to also give up everything else I hold dear, just to take the mantel of Empress at the expense of my own titles, my people, my family and all for yours who don't even have the decency to acknowledge my position in your life" she screamed angrily only to be forcefully dragged across the low bench and into his arms.