Speaking up so that I didn't have to be the buzz kill, Austin shook his head, "We'd rather stay in tonight man, nothing crazy for once" 

The guys all looked at him as if he was crazy for turning down a night of partying, but knew better than to question him. "Okay..." Slade shrugged, "Let's go get some beers than shall we" 

As the guys went inside to grab drinks, I couldn't help but notice Finn and Grace standing further away, obviously detached from everybody else. Grace's arms were crossed over her chest, her eyes finding sudden interest in the ground, kicking a pebble around with her foot. Finn's eyebrows were furrowed together with his jaw locked, looking unmistakably angry. A few inaudible words were exchanged between the two of them before Finn stormed off, leaving her behind. 

A few moments of silence passed before Grace allowed herself to look up and over towards me, clearly not realising by now I was out here alone while the guys sorted out whatever it was they were doing. It didn't bother me, I figured Austin would want some guy time while I could have my time with Grace. When she realised I had been watching, she let her arms soften and fall down to her side, a fake smile pulling at her lips. 

"Tell me," I said once she sat down at the table beside me. It was dark now, but the moon was directly above us, that and the lights from inside the house made everything visible. 

"I'm sorry, this is your moment, let's just focus on you" She noted guiltily, toying around with her bracelet. 

"Grace," I gave her a pointed look. What she didn't realise is I had been through everything she's going through already; the two of them reminded me so much of Austin and I in our early days. I know too easily when something is up with them. 

"It's just... I don't know" She sighed heavily, looking down. One thing about Grace is that she hates giving people eye contact when she's upset. "We're going through a rough patch at the minute and I can't seem to do anything right" 

Behind her, Austin and Slade approached the glass door, beer cans in hand, about to walk out before I gave them a look, subtly shaking my head at them to tell them to stay put without her noticing. Austin's eyebrows furrowed ever-so-slightly in confusion before looking at me questionably. "It's fine" I mouthed to reassure him. It took them a few seconds of studying us before they agreed to give us our space, walking away from the door but close enough that they could still see through it. Austin thought I couldn't tell that he was still keeping his eye on me as he talked with his guys, hating that I was out there in the dark at this time, but I could. 

"It's not easy" I hummed. Grace didn't need someone to tell her everything was going to be okay. She knew that. She just needed to be listened to and feel validated. To know she's not alone. 

"I feel like our relationship is a complete paradox to yours" 

"Your relationship is exactly like ours, actually" I contradicted. 

"Then how did you make it work?" She looked at me with hope in her eyes. 

Looking down at my ring, I smiled to myself. "You just don't give up. That's the thing with this generation, everybody wants something perfect but nobody wants to put in the work to make something perfect. Everyone either walks away or gives up the minute something bad happens, or somebody gets hurt. Nobody works at things anymore"

"I just don't want to be the only one working at it, all Finn does it fight about everything"

"It's all about perspective, the way you look at things" I stood up from the chair, trying to fight back a giggle. Grace just reminded me so much of my younger more naive self and I knew she still had so much to learn, even though she was only two months younger. "At least he still sees there to be something worth fighting for."