Chapter 15

Madison's POV

I groaned lazily when the sound of my phone woke me up. I sat up and my shoulders were killing me from sleeping weirdly on this couch. I shuffled my hand through my hair and reached over for my phone.

"Yeah?" I yawned tiredly.

"Um Hi, Madison." I mentally slapped myself for not checking the caller ID before I answered the phone.

"Cassidy? What the hell do you want?" I said moodily.

"Look, I think we both said things we didn't mean to say." I was about to jump in before she interrupted.

"Just come out to the mall with me. Please? I know you're mad but I just want to talk about what happened." I sighed.

I couldn't believe some of the things Cassidy said- or even what she did to me and Austin. However, she's been my bestfriend for 10 years and we have too much history to just let it go. And it wouldn't do any harm to get out of the house for a few hours, and a bit of space away from Austin, who I'm still furious at.

"Alright fine. Can you come and pick me up?"

"Won't Austin see me?" I almost smiled at how nervous she was around Austin. It just made me laugh.

"No, Cassidy," I laughed.

"He's asleep anyway."

"Alright, fine. I'll come pick you up in 20 minutes?"

"See you then." I said, and hung up the phone.

Once we were at the mall, we went in our favourite store, Victoria's Secret. I wasn't really looking to buy anything, because I didn't have a ton of money spare, but I just came to get out of the house for a little while and some much needed space away from Austin.

"I'm surprised Austin let you come and see me" Cassidy brought up, trying to start conversation and fill the awkward silence.

"He doesn't know, he's asleep, remember?" I said, referring to the phone call.

"Oh," She laughed, trying to ease the situation.

"He hates me doesn't he" She stated.

"Yeah" I agreed, not hiding anything from her. And he makes it pretty obvious anyway.

"Shall we go to Starbucks?" Cassidy asked, really not wanting to talk about it with crowds of other people.

"Yeah, let's go."

Taking a sip from my Vanilla Frap, I looked up at Cassidy.

"I am sorry Madi" She said sincerely, with pleading eyes.

"I know. But that doesn't take back what you did."

"I know and I'd go back and change things in a heartbeat if I could. I tried to hide it from her, I really did, but then my parents got involved and your mum was about to call the police at one point, and I had to tell her. And I swear that's the truth."

I took in what she said. From day one, I was surprised that Cassidy would just openly admit it. She's always had my back and kept my secrets, so there must have been a reason for her doing it- I was just too furious to think things through.

"Why would my mum even call your mum?"

"I don't know, I swear. It was one of the nights when you were with Austin, and she called to check up on you, and my mum obviously said you weren't here, and you know the rest"

"For fuck sake" I sighed, placing my hand on my forehead as I leant onto the table.

I could tell she wasn't lying. I've been her best friend for pretty much my whole life. I know her. She figits when she's lying and looks anywhere else but at me, but this time she looked at me fully.

"Alright I forgive you" I sighed.

"Are you serious?" She beamed, a whole change of demeanor.

"Yeah, I just don't know about Austin. He's not a lover of you.."

"I know" She sighed, "Will he get mad when he realises you're out with me?"

"Probably. But you're my bestfriend and I can see who I want. He's my boyfriend not my dad." I sighed.

Cutting Cassidy off, my phone began to ring in my pocket. I slid it out and made sure to check the caller ID this time.

"It's Austin" I stated, sliding it back into my pocket and leaving it to ring.

"Answer it? We can head back if you want to?"

"I don't want to" I shook my head. m

I came out to get a break from my problems not carry them on or talk about them. I ignored the call purely because I'm too mad with him to speak maturely. And whenever we talk over the phone, things always get said that wouldn't be spoken of when we're face to face.

Austin's POV

"Pick up Madison, pick up, For fuck sake" I breathed as the call dialed to answer phone for the 74th time. Not leaving a message, I slammed my phone onto the table in pure frustration. I know she's mad at me for whatever reason but I don't live in the kind of lifestyle where it's okay for her to just run off in a tantrum. Fuck knows where she could be right now.

I woke up after Madison even left, so I have no idea how long she's been out- or if she'll be back anytime soon.

"Still nothing?" Leo questioned, as he passed by from another room. I shook my head.

"Man don't worry, I'm sure she's just at the mall or whatever the fuck girls normally do" He patted my shoulder in support with a firm hand.

I nodded, "I fucking hope so." Leaning forward, I rested my elbows on my knees and rubbed my hands over my face.

The door suddenly opened and my head snapped towards its direction.

"Bye!!!!" Madison called out loudly whilst waving enthusiastically at whoever it was outside before laughing and turning around. She shut the front door behind her as I watched her every move. She slid her jacket off her shoulders and hooked it up. Looking in the mirror, she adjusted her hair- catching a glance of me meanwhile. As soon as she did, she turned around to look at me.

"Hi" She smiled, as if it was purely to annoy me further.

My mind was racing with questions to ask her.

"Do you know how worried I've been?" I spat, glaring into her eyes.

She shrugged, "All I did was go out with some friends- stop making a big deal out of it." She rolled her eyes before looking off to the side.

"A big deal? Madison who knows what could have happened to you?!"

"I was just at the mall Austin!" She exasperated.

"You don't get it do you," I muttered, turning and walking away to clear my head.

"No, you're not just walking away" She stated, grabbing a hold of my upper arm and turning me around.

"I don't know what else you want me to say Madison, I really don't" I began, raising my voice.

"I want you to apologise for treating me like shit last night, when I willed myself to stay up extremely late just for some dinner plans your boss, or whoever the fuck he was, set up. I put up with his pervy ass glances all night, and then you come back smelling like weed? It's disrespectful. All I asked was a simple question and you lied to me? I'm just so sick of this constant fighting, I really don't know how much more I can cope with" She stated, with her eyes brimming with tears. "I know you've done a lot for me- too much. And I should've told you were I was going or answer your calls but I didn't because I can't fucking do anything right."

Watching her stand there timidly, looking up to the ceiling to prevent a tear from falling, I realised something. She finally broke. The girl who never makes a big deal out of anything, broke.

"I don't want to fight with you" She whispered.

I sighed, turning around completely. I pulled her into me with her arms around my neck and held her tightly.

"Me neither," I whispered, leaving chaste kisses at her neck. "Just promise me you wont do that again alright? Anything could've happened to you; especially with the lifestyle I live," I said. She nodded and looked up at me.

"I love you, you know that right?"

"I know" She said sincerely. "I love you too."

Madison's POV

I rested my head against Austin's chest near his shoulder as I laid sideways on his lap. He held me with one hand tight against him and the other was resting a cold beer on my legs. I played with his dog chains that hung low around his neck. The cold night breeze brushed over me as I pulled Austins sweater lower down my arms, gripping the sleeves. The boys were in conversation about something that I didn't really understand. I looked over at Finn who seemed zoned out.

"Hey" I called quietly to Finn who wasn't sitting to far from Austin and I. He turned his head and raised his eyebrows

"Yeah?"

"Where's Grace?" I questioned. I genuinely liked Grace. I'm just glad to not be the only girl involved in it all anymore; and she's good for Finn.

"She's sleeping, she's been asleep all day" He said, fighting a smile.

"Aw," I giggled, "I really like her" He nodded without hesitating.

"Yeah me too." I smiled and turned back to Austins chest, as Finn joined back in to the conversation.

Letting out a quiet yawn I leaned up to Austin's ear, "I'm gonna go to bed" I whispered.

"Do you want me to carry you babe?"

I shook my head. "No it's fine. Good night" I smiled as I began to get up.

He stood up with me though, holding me like a baby.

"I'm carrying you" He stated with a smirk.

I rolled my eyes playfully and wrapped my arms around his neck. He carried me upstairs as if I was a feather, and soon enough he was laying me down in bed. I pulled the covers over me and snuggled up to the comforter. Austin chuckled and leaned down to place a kiss on my lips.

"I love you baby"

"I love you too" I said with the last bit of energy I had before falling into a deep sleep.

Austin's POV

"Look all I'm saying is that if we take the road straight past district, we won't draw attention to ourselves" Finn stated his opinion, thinking he was right.

"Why the fuck would we do that when we could just join the highway and be there in 50 minutes?" I scoffed, "Who gives a fuck if the police stop and question us? The fuckers have no evidence that we're planning to kill somebody. Since when did we fear the fucking police? They're shit and you know that." Finn shrugged and nodded.

"Yeah alright but what if it's not the police we have to be worried about" I squinted my eyes at him,

"What the fuck are you talking about? Spit it out this aint a fucking guessing game" Shooting me a look,

Finn replied "Calm the fuck down bro. And I'm saying that the gangs in Stratford aren't going to like us hanging about dealing with their shit. They're not gonna give us a warm welcome."

"Well no shit bro but they'll soon learn not to mess with us" Slade added.

Ignoring Finn's previous comment, I nodded in agreement.

"So the highway it is then" I settled.

"We'll leave in a couple of hours, I suppose Madi and Grace are coming?" Slade questioned as he stood up from the metal chairs.

"Yeah they are" Finn and I said with no hesitation.

Just because things have settled down lately around here, it doesn't make it safe to just leave Mads alone in the house. Anything could happen to her.

I shut the SUV after putting everyone's packed luggage in there, including mine and Madi's.

"Alright we all set?" Slade asked.

"Yeah I'm driving. I just gotta go get Madi" I set and jogged up to the house before I could get a reply. Madi is an extremely heavy sleeper, which usually comes in handy.

Reaching our bedroom, I smiled as I saw Madi wearing my sweater and leggings, not bothering to change from last night. I slowly and quietly lifted her up into my arms like a bride, careful to not disturb her sleep. When I reached the car, I put her in the passenger seat. She opened her eyes slightly, as she stirred.

"Baby go back to sleep" I whispered, locking in her seatbelt.

She didn't protest, as she shut her eyes and immediately went back to sleep, making me laugh to myself slightly. I shut the door and jumped in the other side. The guys were talking amongst themselves in the back, and Grace was sleeping with her head on Finn's lap.

Halfway into the journey, Madi woke up, looking around her wondering how the hell she got in the SUV.

"You're finally awake," I commented.

"Why am I here? Where are we going?" She asked, ignoring me.

"We're going to Stratford for a little while," I said, looking out the side view mirror before switching lanes swiftly without indication.

"Oh," She said, rubbing her face up and down. "How the fuck did I not wake up" She questioned rhetorically. She flipped down the mirror from the top of the car.

"Austin I look like shit and my hair's a mess why didn't you wake me I look disgusting and you're here for business and when they see me I'm just going to embarass you and-"

"I knew you'd be like this" I sighed, "You need more sleep. You look gorgeous okay? Just catch up on your sleep it's only 4"

She shook her head, "I'm not tired anymore." She sat up in her seat until she saw her bag of stuff at her feet amd began brushing her hair and putting her makeup or whatever the stuff that girls do.

"Is this that job thing with Caleb?" She questioned when she was done shifting about so damn much. I nodded without saying a word, which made her stop with the questions.

Madison's POV

"Austin switch lanes" Leo said loudly from the back of the SUV.

"Why?"

"Just fucking do it" I looked back to Leo to see what the problem was. He was looking out of the tinted window at the back of the SUV.

"Fuck" Leo breathed five seconds are Austin changed lanes.

"We're being followed." He stated.

"Are you serious?" Finn said, looking over to the back.

"The black car behind us Mahone." I looked in the side view mirror of the car to see a black car trying to stay hot on our heels.

"Why are they following us?" Grace asked, taking the words straight out of my mouth. They shrugged, obviously knowing the reason why.

Austin's whole demeanour changed, like it usually does in these situations. His jaw locks hard in place, his eyebrows slightly bunch down as he focuses, and when he's driving, he clenched the steering wheel with such a strong grip that his knuckles start to turn white. His eyes - which always change from their hazel colour - turns to a dark black. And it stunned me every time.

Now none of this physical changes in Austin were never due to fear. That's something I admired about him; he is fearless. He is only ever mad or frustrated.

Studying him carefully, and sitting securely in my seat, I couldn't help to think back to my last time at school. He said we'd leave it all behind. And I guess that's what we're doing now. But for how long- I don't know.

"Sit tight Mads," Suddenly switching over to the exit of the highway, Austin looked to the rear view mirror as a loud screeching of the SUV tires burned against the tarmac. "Shit"

"Pull over" Slade spoke sternly.

"Pull over? Are you fucking kidding me I got my girl here!?" Austin replied.

"Bro our place is right down the fucking road, you either pull over now or show them exactly where we are fucking staying so they can come back later and catch your girl alone at night" Slade raised his voice, growing agitated. I tensed, not being able to fight back the images of last time that ran from my mind.

"Don't ever say shit like that again or I fucking swear-" Austin spat as he pulled over.

"Girls just stay here, alright? Lock the doors it won't take long" Finn said to us as Austin, Slade and Leo had already got out to approach whoever.

We both nodded, not really knowing what was about to happen, or how serious it was. But I could just tell that this is the start of it all.

As he slammed the door shut, I crawled over to the back where Grace was from the passenger seat. I smiled sympathetically at her, and she returned one back.

"At least somebody knows how I feel for once" I laughed half heartedly.

"How long have you been apart of this?" She asked.

"I've never really 'been a part of it'. Austin always keeps me out of things like this- says it's got nothing to do with me I guess. But I've been around for around 6 months now," I replied.

"That's the exact same with Finn and I. We've been talking for 4 months but he was always reluctant to go out with me- I guess now I know why" She sighed.

"Hey- It's probably no big deal." I shrugged. I liked Grace but I could tell she wasn't as strong willed as I am, or she just wasn't used to this yet.

Austin's POV

"What brings you around here fella's," A man, a few years older then me, questioned. I know of him, but I don't know him. He's in one of the leading gangs around here.

"We've got things to do since you can't take care of your own town," I chuckled amongst my boys.

"Oh is that so?" He spat, nearing me.

"Why don't I start now then?" He said, swinging his fist towards my jaw. I caught his fist instinctively before it even touched me and I twisted his wrist around making him flip onto the floor.

"Where's your girl Mahone?" He taunted as he swiftly got up.

"Don't start bro," I narrowed my eyes at him, daring him to continue.

He held his hands up in defence. "No disrespects man, I just wanted to welcome her to my town, is all" I looked him up and down suspiciously. "I'm cool bro, I spoke with Caleb. I know why you're here I was just messing. That's my place you're staying in up there," He nodded his head into the other direction.

Sighing, I turned around. "Mads," I called out, tapping on the SUV.

"Yeah?" She said, poking her head out from the car door which she opened. I nodded my head as if to say 'Come over here', and she did.

"Madison this is Jamie, Jamie meet Madison" I wrapped and arm around her waist and pulled her protectively into my side.

"Nice to meet you." He nodded and she smiled in reply, obviously feeling anxious.

"You done?" I spat, just wanting to go to our place.

"It's just that we've got things to do," Slade said politely making me bunch my eyebrows together at him.

"Yeah alright boys. I'll hit you up later"