30: Just One Day

tw: this chapter is largely focused on shinee jonghyun's suicide :( may he always & forever rest in peace, our angel <3
———————
It had been a few months after the break up. By now, both Jungkook and Yeri were fine. They hadn't seen each other even once in these past few months so it was easy to forgive and forget. After Yeri sent that birthday message to Jungkook, he replied with a short and simple 'Thank you' and that was the blunt end of that.

But it was already two thirds of the way through December and the end of year ceremonies were approaching, so the two of them were slightly anxious as to how they'd confront each other once they're in each other's presence on stage again... but that was an obstacle they'd face when it comes.

The current obstacle that Kim Yerim could not seem to overcome was... the sudden news of Shinee Jonghyun's suicide. It had been three days since she and her members had found out and none of them were emotionally stable at the moment. Yerim could have sworn she cried out every single tear her body could muster, yet there was always more and more running down her face in an endless stream.

Yesterday was the day of his funeral. It completely shattered Yeri's heart, witnessing the four other SHINee members carrying the body of their late brother down the street.

There were cameras everywhere but in that moment Yeri could not care less about cameras and grieved freely, painful tears continuing to stream down.

It hurt even more to think that, after only a few days of grieving, the girls had to practice for all the end of year award stages they were due to perform. Someone so close to them all had just passed away, yet the girls had to pretend as if all was fine and continue to slave away in their practice rooms... it hurt Yeri a lot.

'Come on, Yerimie... I know it's hard but let's just finish this next hour altogether and then we can go home...' Irene reached out and grabbed Yeri's hand, giving it a comforting squeeze as she lifted Yeri off the practice floor.

Yeri was emotionally, physically and mentally drained... but so were the other members and she knew she couldn't be even more of a burden to them and hold them back. So with a deep and exhausting sigh, she got up and nodded.

————
It had been a week since Jonghyun's passing, and the string of end of year award ceremonies began, starting with SBS Gayo Daejun.

BTS had just walked out on stage for the opening, coincidentally besides Red Velvet. Jungkook looked ahead at the fans, before he felt a light nudge from Namjoon beside him.

'Did you say anything to Yeri?' Namjoon quickly whispered to him, casually.

Jungkook looked to the side and immediately froze when he saw Yeri. This was the first time he had seen her since their break up, and seeing her hide behind Seulgi, head down and clearly broken, made Jungkook's heart sink in a way he had never felt before. After a few seconds he forced himself to look away, since there were a sea of fans' beady eyes in front of them.

He couldn't help but want to look at Yeri again, so after a few painstakingly long moments, he stepped behind his members and looked Yeri's way once again, hidden by the shadows. That sinking feeling in his heart had immediately returned and it took everything in Jungkook to not run up to Yeri and squeeze her tight, to let her know he was there to comfort her.

With a painful gulp, Jungkook ripped his eyes away from her again and exhaled deeply. Of course he knew of Jonghyun's passing and himself and the other BTS members paid their respects earlier in the week too.

It was incredibly sad news for every person in the Korean entertainment industry, however, Jungkook knew how close Jonghyun and Yeri specifically were. She mentioned him several times and her smile always seemed so bright whenever she would bring him up. Jungkook knew Jonghyun treated Yeri well, so he held a special place in her heart. Knowing all of this, Jungkook still didn't message Yeri to check up on her and see if she was okay. He wanted to but their situation forced himself to stay quiet and leave her alone. At this moment, after seeing her so incredibly sad, Jungkook completely regretted that decision.