15: Cold

Jungkook gulped, his eyes staring at the screen yet his brain not focusing on the words in front of him.

'What?!' He heard Taehyung exclaim beside him, shocked. Jungkook blinked a few times and properly read Jaehyun's reply.

'Kook! Hey :) and what? Dating? You mean Yeri? How did you know..?!' the words read.

Jungkook's eyes tripled in size as his heart felt like it had just plunged down and out of his body. 'What?!' he repeated Taehyung, his voice faltering. He brought his phone closer to him, re-reading the message over and over again.

'Th-they're really together?' Jungkook stuttered, turning to Taehyung, his eyes empty. Taehyung was speechless and averted his eyes away from his friend's broken state. 'I sh-should've known..' Jungkook continued, sighing deeply. 'Of course she's taken.. why wouldn't she be..' he muttered, falling flat on to his bed. 'And I took her out for dinner! I'm such a bad friend... I-I even started falling for her b-but... ugh!' Jungkook poured out, his voice unstable and shaking.

'Jungkook... it's okay' Taehyung softly spoke, attempting to comfort him.

'It's not okay!' Jungkook yelled, throwing his phone aggressively beside him, yet it only landing on to the soft mattress below him.

'Well... it was only one date. Look, just forget about her. You've always been afraid of girls anyway, atleast you both aren't close.' Taehyung reasoned, being somewhat brutal but wanting the best for his best friend. 'It was just a crush. Forget her.' he said, knowing he was being blunt but there was nothing else he could say.

Jungkook was listening and took a deep, deep breath. 'You're right... we weren't close. It was only a measly crush.. I'll forget about her.' he chorused Taehyung, his eyes looking up, blankly at the ceiling.

*
It was Red Velvet's goodbye stage at Inkigayo. Yeri was in her dressing room, getting her hair perfected before their performance. She was smiling at herself in the mirror opposite her; she had someone on her mind. She was grasping something in her hand, happy.

*
'Jungkook!' Hoseok called, excited.

The maknae looked over, seeing Hoseok pointing to the screen on the wall, a grin smeared across his face. Jungkook's eyes followed his finger and saw five girls on the screen. A few brief seconds passed and the start of 'Rookie' blasted through the speakers as Hoseok ran to the TV, raising the volume up even higher.

Jungkook's eyes involuntarily searched for Yeri. When he saw her smile, his heart felt heavy. 'That smile won't ever be mine..' he thought, looking away. He ignored Hoseok's loud cheers as he danced along to the music and heard Taehyung mutter, 'Hyung, not now..'

Hoseok stopped dancing, confused. 'Huh...?' he wondered, lowering the volume. 'Did something happen?' he asked, realising Jungkook had turned away.

'Yeri has a boyfriend.' Jungkook answered sharply, within a second, pretending to act like he couldn't care less and scrolling through his phone.

Hoseok's jaw dropped, his mouth forming a perfect 'O'. 'What?!' he exclaimed, sitting beside Jungkook. Jimin and Jin, who were sitting nearby, heard everything and came rushing over.  'What!' they both gasped, shocked. 'Who?' Jimin whispered.

'Jaehyun. From NCT.' Jungkook replied, as nonchalant as he could be.

'How do you know? Wh-when? What about you?'

'Me?' Jungkook sniggered, 'I was never anything to her. It was one dinner, not a date. For the bet, that was it. I was just being dumb and thinking things that could never happen.' Jungkook spat out, evidently getting worked up whilst completely failing to stay cool.

'O-oh..' Hoseok mumbled, realising they should have stayed quiet.

Jimin, however,  kept on pestering. 'Jaehyun? He's your friend, right? Wow... him and Yeri? How did you find out?'

'There was a picture of them both on his Snapchat. I asked him if they were dating and he said yeah..' Jungkook explained, putting his phone down and sighing.

'You asked him?' Jin said. 'Well.. what are you going to do now? Weren't you going to ask her out on a real date?' he asked, remembering the 'something' Jungkook wanted to tell Yeri.

'That's obviously not happening now.' Taehyung interjected. 'Guys, leave him alone now. He clearly doesn't want to talk about it, let him forget her.'
-
It was already the end of Inkigayo. BTS had won once again against Red Velvet and had just finished their encore stage. Jungkook was of course happy, yet seeing Yeri nearby him again made his heart uneasy. He just ignored it and focused on singing to the girls he could truly love and trust: his fans.

BTS were recovering from the intense 'Not Today' performance in their dressing room, lying down on the sofas and reenergising themselves with cups of cold, iced coffee.

A light knock was heard on the door. Seconds later, with no real permission, a small head peeked in to BTS' dressing room.

'Ah, hello' a girlish voice was heard. Jungkook immediately recognised the voice and whipped his head around to see Yeri bowing to everyone around her. His heart started to race straight away. He got up, already nervous and sweaty.

She saw him and smiled. 'Hi!' she beamed, bowing slightly to him too. Jungkook didn't respond and just looked blankly at her, purely confused.

A few seconds later, Yeri brought her hands out from the back of her petite self. Within her hands held a jacket. A big cream jacket - Jungkook's jacket. 'Here.' she spoke, holding it infront of her.

It took a couple moments for Jungkook to process what was going on; he was still surprised she was infront of him like this in his dressing room, around all his staff, and talking to him as if they were friends.

He took it from her small hands, thinking back to the time he wanted her to keep it until they could go out again. But of course, that couldn't happen now. 'Thank you.' he said formally, bowing to her.

Yeri was slightly startled at his use of formal language. She thought they already broke past that formal stage, but maybe one dinner wasn't enough. Or maybe it was because there were other people around? She ignored it and kept on smiling, 'I remembered this time!'

Jungkook didn't smile and just nodded, about to turn around.

Yeri could definitely sense something was off. She dared to think Jungkook was this... Cold? Uninterested? Rude? 'Jungkook!' she called out before he could walk away. He stopped and faced her once again, but not looking at her in the eyes. He didn't look at her in the eyes once.

'Congratulations today!' She said to him, before looking around to some of the other members nearby. She didn't even notice they were all looking at her. Frozen for a second, she cleared her throat and repeated, 'Congratulations to all of you!' and bowed.

A mix of thank you's and bows were given in return from every member besides Jungkook. She looked at him and gulped. 'Is he mad at me or something?' she thought, getting a little frustrated at his lack of response.

She contemplated for a second on whether to just exit or talk any further. She just knew she didn't like this weird cold atmosphere and she wanted to sort out whatever was wrong. It was her goodbye stage after all, meaning she wouldn't see Jungkook for perhaps over half a year later, at the end of year shows.

Taking a deep breath, she gulped before grabbing the tips of Jungkook's fingers. She aimed for his wrist but whatever; his fingers were good enough as she dragged him out his dressing room.
————
hey heyy! i kept my promise in updating this within a week :) ngl, im going to be busyyy the next month (preparing for my trial exams and whatnot) so updates may be slow but i'll try my hardest to atleast update every week/week and a half or so ;)

anyway, YERI'S DATING JAEHYUN? ahsjjsjsjs  did anyone expect it?? lmao i'm sorry i had to make this fic a bit more spicy 😂

tbh i kinda had writers block with this story already but i've got the next couple chapters kinda in my head so hopefully the next part will be up soon! i hope you enjoy ^^

don't forget to vote & COMMENT (i've said this a billion times but yh i love reading your comments) ok byeeee ~