She screams, reaching for the closest thing she can find to defend herself as Roger speaks up from the couch, "Roger?!" 

"Look what the cat dragged in," her cousin smirks, getting up, "Have a good night, Nessie?" 

Her face flames, "It was alright, yeah." 

"I think she's lying, Casp," he picks up the cat and cradles him as if he were a baby, "I know a walk of shame when I see one. Last night's clothes as well, Rox. Have to say, I'm proud." 

"Oh shut up, Roger," she hisses and makes her way through to her room so she can put her bag and such away, "What are you still doing here anyway?" 

He shrugs, "Still no electricity. Brian only went home to go to bed. Besides, Casper and I are getting on swimmingly." 

"I'm glad," Roxy drones, "No Alyssa?" 

She definitely thought he would have rung her and invited her over. Though that's not to say that she hasn't already come and gone. Pun intended. 

"No," he frowns, "I did ring her and ask her round but she was at work first thing." 

"Again?" Roxy asks, "I thought today was her day off." 

"Normally it is but they're offering a lot of overtime and since Christmas is coming, she wants to get some more money for gifts and stuff." 

She nods, "Makes sense. She's coming to Freddie's though, right?"

"Yeah." 

"Good," she hums, "And since you're still here and not doing anything, while I'm showering, you can put the banners and stuff up,"

"Aw, Roxy, no. Please don't make me do that," he begs, "Why do you insist on putting that stuff up? It's cheesy as shit." 

She pats his cheek gently as she passes him, finally making her way to the bathroom to have her shower, "That's exactly why, Rog." 

++|++

Like she always did, Roxanne drove everyone to Freddie's parents' house -except for Mary and Alyssa. Mary was coming with her father while Alyssa, despite Roxy saying that it was no trouble to swing by her place on the way, said she'd meet them there. 

They arrive just as Mary and her dad were climbing out of his car and the two waited patiently for them to join them at the end of the garden. 

"Where's Alyssa?" she asks and Roger puts his cigarette out. 

"She was working today," he opens the gate for them, "She said that the manager has you lot working a lot of overtime." 

"Oh," Mary purses her lips but quickly plasters a smile on her face as Freddie comes out to greet them. 

Roxanne and John are at the back of the group, Roxy carrying the presents she's bought for him (but was from both her and John) while he carries the cake, which he almost dropped twice on the way over thanks to her erratic driving. 

She grins at Freddie when they reach the door, throwing an arm around his neck as he kisses her cheek, "Happy birthday, Freddie!" 

"Thank you, my darling," he beams, ushering them into the house where they hear Alyssa calling his name, signalling her arrival. 

"Look at baby Freddie!" Roxy giggles, catching sight of one of the photos hung on the wall before they step into the living room and John looks over his shoulder at his friend. 

"You were cute, Fred. What happened?" 

He winces as Freddie shoves him, masking it as they finally join the others in the sitting room, where there's a long dining table set up to accommodate them all.