Chapter 7 - Revelations

Beginne am Anfang

"What is it?"

"Open it and have a look." Sighing, he continues, "I hope you and your sisters can work things out." Glancing up, I meet his eyes. His gaze doesn't falter, always intimidating. Standing, he buttons his suit jacket, saying, "Enjoy your late lunch. I'll talk to you tomorrow."

The sight of him tugs on my heartstrings. I hate the effect that man has on me. I internally curse at my stupid heart that refuses to let him go. I watch from the window as he slides into his Audi, no capos in sight, which is unusual. He turns to look at me once more before slipping on his shades and driving off.

How am I going to do this? Co-parent, and have him in my life, without falling apart, without desiring him?

It's all screwing with my head. Shaking my thoughts away, I open the envelope to reveal all the photos I ever took with his phone, printed with my messages on there. Tears well up in my eyes when I reach the photos taken at the hospital, lying in his arms, my face nuzzled in his chest—three of the same pictures with different messages.

The first reads: He loves me, even when I'm broken.

The second: Be you, and I will glue myself together.

The third: I'm lost, but I promise I'm coming back. I love you.

All our memories flood my mind. I've broken all over again. There is no doubt I love that man. My heart, body, and soul belong to him. I just can't trust him, he hurt me, shattered me. I'm still not pieced together. Wiping my tears, I force the thoughts away. Composing myself, and I place the photos back into the envelope, safely tucking them into my handbag.

Maybe this is what I needed, the token to put in my capsule and forever leave him behind. Digging into my lasagna, I wait nervously. I'm worried my anger will get the better of me, and I will say something I shouldn't.

"Mina," Lia's voice has me looking up. Her happy and bubbly self is lost, and she's consumed by sadness. Her eyes have darkened, while worry lines form on her forehead, and each one of her breaths sorrowful. I shouldn't care, but the sight of her pains me. Nat enters behind Lia, and they both take a seat across from me. Swallowing my lasagna, and pushing the plate to the side, I take a sip of my coffee.

"So," Lia says nervously. Tucking a strand of loose hair behind her ear, she struggles to control a shake in her hand. "I had this whole speech in my head. Everything I wanted to say, but I'm looking at you, and my words have faded. Nothing I can say will make this okay, yet I still hope and will try." She's fighting back all her emotions, swallowing hard as her features distort.

"You're right; no words will make a difference." I lean forward, my elbows resting on the table while holding my cup in both hands.

"You both betrayed me, that's a fact!" I hesitate. Trying to control my anger, I focus on my breathing. I can't let my anger breakthrough.

"Mina," Lia breathes, holding back a whimper. "I'm so sorry."

The shake in her body shows her regret, as she sobs into her hands, struggling to get any words out. Nat's tears stain her cheeks. She's trying to find the words as she speaks. "I never wanted to hurt you. I have forever tried to get you to open up to me. The same way you would with Petro." Nat's brows pull together as she lowers her head. "I wish I could tell you what lead us to this, but I can't and I'm no longer confident it will make a difference."

Her emotions get the better of her as she weeps. "I keep failing you, no matter what I do. I always fail you."

I didn't realize I'm crying until I taste my tears, "There is no good enough reason, Nat."